Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

A piece of history

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Gordon Cooper

A piece of history

#1 Post by Gordon Cooper »

A member of the local Linux Group found this gem. Pity that MX was not alive then. He might have chosen it.
https://www.cnet.com/news/rockin-on-without-microsoft/

Edit: And here is a bit more : https://linux.sys-con.com/node/38334
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Richard

Re: A piece of history

#2 Post by Richard »

Yeah, I think the BSA has created more confirmed Linux converts.
But the bean counters are all about the money today and forget the future.
Ball makes good strings.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Gordon Cooper

#3 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Ball makes good strings.

Have not played seriously for over forty years and think that we never encountered Ball strings. I used Black Diamond on the steel.
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.

m_pav
Developer

#4 Post by m_pav »

I presented that page to the LUG 8 years ago Gordon. Made a copy of the text and have kept it in my archives. It really resounded with me because when I first signed up as a Microsoft Registered System builder, my welcoming letter had had no assistance or guidance as they promised, instead it and the next 5 postal envelopes I received from them all had threatening letters about how they had sued this named company for $150k for a total of 20 breaches which they extrapolated out to some phenomenal number based on speculation and the company had no option but to pay the fine, as well as Microsofts full costs in pursuing the so called infringement.

Each successive letter had some 2-3 examples of their latest successful court case, so when I moved out of that place, I chose to not forward my new postal address to them.
That was in Mid 2001, shortly afterwards, in Feb 2002, I downloaded my first Linux ISO over a shonky dial-up connection, it took some 12 or so hours, then made a CD and installed it on my computer the following day. The rest is history.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

turtlebay777

#5 Post by turtlebay777 »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm A member of the local Linux Group found this gem. Pity that MX was not alive then. He might have chosen it.
https://www.cnet.com/news/rockin-on-without-microsoft/

Has anyone any tips on how to open internet links WITHOUT a video automatically playing? This of course chews up your data download allowance.

PhantomTramp

#6 Post by PhantomTramp »

I love this story. I haven't thought about it in a while. I'd had loved to have been in that meeting when old Sterling decided to go "rouge".

I sometimes use different strings for whatever I'm doing but I will always have a lighter set of "Super Slinky" strings on an short scale guitar for when these old fingers ache. They are the strings that got me started bending.

The Tramp

:guitar:

Gordon Cooper

#7 Post by Gordon Cooper »

@mpav. Thanks for that Mike. I wondered where Rob Taylor (current lug secretary) found it. BOPLUG is where you introduced to Mepis then later to MX
and as you wrote, the rest is history.
Gordon

colin_b

#8 Post by colin_b »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:44 am Has anyone any tips on how to open internet links WITHOUT a video automatically playing? This of course chews up your data download allowance.
I use Script Click https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dpgkfhkpoh on Opera. The click of a button effectively stops videos from playing. A second click of it re-enables video playback if required.

It also prevents unwanted page scripts from running with a bit of tinkering.

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

Hopefully MS has mellowed a bit over the years, but this sort of thing is why the Linux community hated MS.

Return to “General”