Crow Translate program?

For developer discussion on package requests
goersorg

Re: Crow Translate program?

#11 Post by goersorg »

Thnx guys. I see "dependncy error" in the deb package. It requires libqt5* the 5.9 version. It is not available in debian repos, so we cannot use Crow translate. Sorry to trouble you.
System: Linux x86_64 Intel (R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz Kernel: 5.10.0-15-amd64 Release: MX-21.1_64 Debian 10 XFCE.

goersorg

#12 Post by goersorg »

System: Linux x86_64 Intel (R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz Kernel: 5.10.0-15-amd64 Release: MX-21.1_64 Debian 10 XFCE.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#13 Post by JayM »

If you'd post the URL of the website for this app (like I've asked for twice), and if its source code is available, perhaps the packagers could solve the dependency issues and get it to work with MX 18, or failing that, be able to package it for MX-19 which is due in a few months and will have libqt5core5a 5.11.3, so the app will be available in that version of MX (unless the developer changes it between now and then to make it incompatible with Debian Buster.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

asqwerth
Developer

#14 Post by asqwerth »

Did you install that program from some deb file that's supposed to work for Ubuntu systems?

That could be the main issue since MX is not based on Ubuntu.

That's why people are asking you for the url of where you got the deb file from.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

goersorg

#15 Post by goersorg »

Hello again. Its been a while since we looked at this. Maybe there have been updates for crow translate? Here is the link: https://github.com/crow-translate/crow- ... e/releases It installs ok but it will not run. I have also installed dependencies (QT etc). It would be great to have this available for MX19-3 to save me heading to gtranslate on my browser all the time. Thnx in advance guys.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#16 Post by JayM »

Have you even read your own thread? You were told two years ago how to request that applications be packed for MX Linux, tested, then made available in the MX repos.
To request new or updated software packages be added to the MX Repositories, please read these instructions first, then post your request in the appropriate Package Requests/Status subforum for your version of MX: 19, 17/18 or 15/16.
We don't support apps that people download from the internet unless they were specifically told to do so by a developer or guide. If it's not in our repos it isn't supported. There simply aren't enough of us or enough hours in the day for us to be expected to support absolutely everything in the world. If you download something from somewhere, install it, and find that it doesn't work you need to contact its developer. Otherwise, ask for it to be packaged for MX and the packager will find out what all its dependencies are and make sure that they're met (if they can be met), then will test their package and make sure that the app at least starts and runs before releasing it for use.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

goersorg

#17 Post by goersorg »

Thnx for the blunt hint. Have a nice day.

goersorg

#18 Post by goersorg »

Oh never mind. Not interested in rude answers that have nothing to do with my post enquiring if there was anything like it available for MX. Won't bother to ask any more.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#19 Post by JayM »

goersorg wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 am Oh never mind. Not interested in rude answers that have nothing to do with my post enquiring if there was anything like it available for MX. Won't bother to ask any more.
That's not what you asked. You asked how to install it or can it be added to the repos. People answered your questions. Since we don't know exactly what Crow Translate does or how it works we can't tell you if there's something like it in the repos. Perhaps if you described exactly what you want it for and what you're trying to accomplish someone can suggest an app that does what you want.

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

We are computer people, so we like specific answers instead of vague references to unspecified "dependency errors".

The recommended MX installers (like anything but dpkg, for heaven's sake!) for standalone debs will refuse to install a deb with that kind of issue, so your success with installation followed by a refusal to run then means you should try and start it in a terminal to see if any error messages come up there.

Here, like what I get:

Code: Select all

steve@msigp63:~ $ crow
!strcmp(locale, "C"):Error:Assert failed:in file baseapi.cpp, line 209
Segmentation fault
The program is crashing instead of starting--we can't help you with that. It needs to be reported to its issue tracker at github.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”