WPS Office [INFEASIBLE]

For developer discussion on package requests
Gerson

WPS Office [INFEASIBLE]

#1 Post by Gerson »

I have had compatibility problems with LibreOffice and documents created with MS Office and I tried installing the WPS OFFICE 2016 which is free for GNU / Linux and has no compatibility problems with the Microsoft suite.
The Word and Power Point documents are shown as they were created with MS Office, so I recommend it.
For those who want to have it in Spanish, you have to install 2 .deb packages that I can gladly provide, since they require the user to register with Deepin.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: WPS Office

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Just some more info: https://www.wps.com/office/linux/

No I haven't tested anything, just providing the download location.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Eggnog

#3 Post by Eggnog »

I use WPS Office and Softmaker Office. I like both of them.

paul1149

#4 Post by paul1149 »

I liked WPS, but I need macro support so I decided to stick with LO.

WPS also has a TOC that seems to limit the free Linux edition to domestic (ie, China) hardware and software:
(3)If this Software is a WPS Office version for Linux OS, the following apply:
1) You are only entitled to install and use this Software on computers meeting the following operating environment requirements as agreed herein:
OS: Linux OS produced by China brand enterprises, such as Ubuntu or Ubentu Kylin, Deepin, NeoKylin, NFS China, and New Start
CPU: X86 or CPU produced by China enterprises such as Loongson, Phytium, SW, Zhaoxin, and MPRC
Memory: At least 500MB; 1G or more is recommended
Hard disk: At least 300MB available space; 500MB available space is recommended
Browser: Firefox 4.0 or above
https://www.wps.com/eula

I never saw any attempt by them in their forums to enforce this restriction, and I don't understand the rationale behind it, but there it is.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

That CPU restriction makes a lot of their users into violators, I'll bet.

Since this is a package request thread, I'd like to see a [INFEASIBLE] added to the first post's title...

Jan K.

Re: WPS Office [INFEASIBLE]

#6 Post by Jan K. »

As far as I've read their site, you pay for WPS either in cash or by accepting ads...?

Gerson

#7 Post by Gerson »

From what I am reading, many people write comments from a subjective view, not because they have used it.
I can write from my own experience.
I have used WPS Office in several distributions, not only with MX and the behavior is very good, I do not have any restrictions, and it is almost 100% compatible with MS Office, unlike LibreOffice, which does not save compatibility, it is very different.
When I print from WPS or make a presentation, it's the same as doing it with MS Office.
On the other hand, with LibreOffice I have to make adjustments in Write because it gets messed up and with the PowerPoint presentations in LibreOffice it comes out unarmed, whereas with WPS it is identical to MS Office.
When they try it for at least a week thoroughly, comment.
LibreOffice is a great open source office suite, but occasionally you will find one with a presentation originally made in Power Point, comes with slides and effects of transitions that are not displayed correctly in LibreOffice. And this is the point at which WPS, at least to me, solves the mess.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

I recommend Freeoffice, no ads, though they do ask that you register with an email.

figueroa

#9 Post by figueroa »

I'm not much of a fan of closed source software. This is a trust issue. The code can contain anything and nobody can audit it.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

Not only is it closed source, it's made by a Chinese software and ISP company. I wouldn't trust it to not have any spyware in it.
http://ir.kingsoft.com/
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”