REQUEST: Piepmatz - Twitter client

For developer discussion on package requests
app4soft

REQUEST: Piepmatz - Twitter client

#1 Post by app4soft »

Package: piepmatz
Version: git (testing) Piepmatz — Twitter client for SailfishOS, written in Qt (QML & C++).

NOTE: As Piepmatz written in Qt, then it could be (theoretically) compiled for Linux too.
Last edited by app4soft on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: REQUEST: Piepmatz - Twitter client

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Is there a reason you are requesting 2 different Twitter clients?

I'm curious.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

app4soft

#3 Post by app4soft »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 am Is there a reason you are requesting 2 different Twitter clients?

I'm curious.
Yes, there is the reason: I want test and choose one of them.

At this moment in MX Repo is only Corebird, but it not in development since Aug 2018!
Timm Bäder wrote: https://corebird.baedert.org/

Corebird will stop working properly mid-August 2018. For more information, see this blog post.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

To build and run Piepmatz or an application which is based on Piepmatz, you need to create the file harbour-piepmatz/src/o2/o1twitterglobals.h (you can copy the sample from harbour-piepmatz/src/o2/o1twitterglobals.h.sample) and enter the required constants in the following format:

#ifndef O1TWITTERGLOBALS_H
#define O1TWITTERGLOBALS_H
const char TWITTER_CLIENT_ID[] = "abcdef";
const char TWITTER_CLIENT_SECRET[] = "ghijkl";
const char TWITTER_STORE_DEFAULT_ENCRYPTION_KEY[] = "mnopqr";
#endif // O1TWITTERGLOBALS_H

You get the Twitter client ID and client secret as soon as you've registered your own application on dev.twitter.com. The default encryption key is only used in case Piepmatz is unable to determine a unique encryption key from the user's device. Under normal circumstances, Piepmatz uses an encryption key which was generated automatically. This key is used to encrypt the user's generated Twitter oAuth token (not the username/password!) on the user's device. Please use a password generator to generate the default key for your application.
So the packager has to go through this rigamarole to build it?

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Also, what is broken now in Corebird? No one has said a word about it now failing.

app4soft

#6 Post by app4soft »

Stevo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:50 pm Also, what is broken now in Corebird? No one has said a word about it now failing.
1) It not in development anymore, so no bugfixes & feature request would be implemented.
2) I want setup what content Corebird should load or/and fully disable loading content on Corebird start -- it's impossible & and this could not be fixed due to 1).

So, I want see more than one Twitter-client with GUI in repo, and want see apps that are in active development.

Corebird is deprecated project since August 2018!
Timm Bäder wrote:Corebird's Future
tl;dr: There is no future

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

At this moment in MX Repo is only Corebird, but it not in development since Aug 2018!
You mean the last change was 5 months ago?! There are a lot of smaller apps like that, including Xfce components.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

If you look at the github README, you also see that they make it a relative PITA just to get the correct source and header files.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”