Package Request: shutter

For developer discussion on package requests
malspa

Re: Package Request: shutter

#11 Post by malspa »

Shutter was my favorite for quite some time; surprised to see that it's no longer available. I've been going with ScreenGrab lately, which I found when I started playing around with LXQt. Nice, lightweight, and in the repos. From apt show screengrab:

Code: Select all

Description: Crossplatform tool for getting screenshots
 Screengrab working in Linux and Windows. The program uses Qt and is
 independent of any desktop environment.

nathan2423

#12 Post by nathan2423 »

Thanks for the suggestions but in comparing flameshot to shutter it looks to me like the editing features on shutter are much more advanced. Actually the editing on hotshots is ok too, but shutter seems to me to be the most advanced.

nathan2423

#13 Post by nathan2423 »

I still miss Shutter and am posting this in hopes that (1) one day there will be an appimage, flatpack, or snap that allows us to continue to use it in MX19, and (2) if and when that happens, that anyone who sees it available again will post here to let us know that it is available.

The workflow of Shutter is still head and shoulders superior, imho. Looks like per the notes in this thread there is a ppa available for the ubuntu crowd, but for the moment the answer for me is to just keep most of my machines running MX-18.3, where shutter runs flawlessly.

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

Have you tried Hotshots instead?

If you delve into that PPA, you will get an idea of the large number of other packages that also need to be rebuilt just to get it to run on a newer Ubuntu. Buster might need even more. Its python 2 will be gone completely in the next Debian release, so all that work will be for nothing in a year or two, anyway. We packagers welcome anyone that wants to help with that task!

richb
Administrator

#15 Post by richb »

I liked shutter as well. But ksnip is pretty good. It does bring in quite a few dependencies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Package Requests / Status”