Package Request: shutter

For developer discussion on package requests
dphn

Package Request: shutter

#1 Post by dphn »

Hi MX-Team,

I like this fantastic screenshot app but Debian maintainers removed shutter in Buster. In stretch it is included, of course but there is a newer version (0.94.1). Packages libgoo-canvas-perl and gnome-web-photo are recommended to use with this app. Great functions.

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/shutter/0.94-1/
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Package Request: shutter

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

It's in the regular repo ;)

Oh wait.. the NEWER version. Sorry lol
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

nathan2423

#3 Post by nathan2423 »

I am playing around with the new MX19 beta and it appears that shutter is not available in the repos. I apologize for wasting your time if I have somehow missed it, but if it is possible to make it work in MX19 I hope the Devs will try to do it. Despite its reputation as dead/undeveloped/buggy whatever, Shutter remains for me far and away the most feature-rich and troublefree screen capture/editor program, and as others have said it is one of the first things I install on every new MX installation.

nathan2423

#4 Post by nathan2423 »

I am running into a roadblock in installing shutter in the 19beta. I can find and load all the dependencies from the 17/18 repo until I get to installing libgnome2-perl which wants perlapi-5.24.1 At that point i am stumped -- any suggestions would be appreciated.

SwampRabbit

#5 Post by SwampRabbit »

You might want to install the dependencies from the MX-19 repo instead... or at least the ones that exist.

Then find the delta of what libs aren’t in MX-19. Might be the same scenario as the dockbarx plugin.

I thought Shutter was being worked on again, or at least I saw a newer version, but I might be imagining things too.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

nathan2423

#6 Post by nathan2423 »

In the thread above there is a link to an updated version, but trying to install that immediately fails with an inability to find libgnome2-perl

nathan2423

#7 Post by nathan2423 »

Looks like the answer for shutter will need to come from HERE: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/10/s ... 0-and.html

nathan2423

#8 Post by nathan2423 »

I think I will be able to live with Hotshots on an interim basis, but I won't give up looking for a way to install Shutter. Therefore if anyone happens to note that the challenge set on the linuxuprising link above to package shutter as a snap or a flatpack or appimage is met by anyone, I hope they will please update this thread. Of course better yet would be the devs here finding a way to incorporate into the repos like with MX18.

Shutter may be without a developer at the moment, but it doesn't look like hotshots has seen any development in years either, and shutter seems IMHO to be significantly superior. As for Ksnip, it does not even have (at least by default) a tray icon? For me that's an essential feature, because I always want to immediately select between copying a region vs copying the full page.

Raitsa

#9 Post by Raitsa »

I use Flameshot as an alternative and its great.

https://github.com/lupoDharkael/flameshot

Devrandom

#10 Post by Devrandom »

You are aware of the existence of Flameshot?
I've been using this instead of Shotwell for some time and I think it is great.

https://flameshot.js.org/#/

ps: Oops, almost posted at the same moment as my predecessor. ;)

Return to “Package Requests / Status”