Serious bug in Gdebi-kde 0.8.7 -- is there a later package?

For developer discussion on package requests
DBeckett

Re: Serious bug in Gdebi-kde 0.8.7 -- is there a later packa

#11 Post by DBeckett »

joany wrote:I never understood the sudo thing, or why it's supposedly better than entering a root password or becoming root when required.
I think it's just a design choice that's made. Some distros don't allow root login by default, and have no root password unless you force the issue. I'm with you though.... I like using root to make system changes. Maybe I'm just a creature of habit. Never cared for sudo.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

timkb4cq
Developer

#12 Post by timkb4cq »

Sudo is a lot more configurable for multi-user environments. For example, you can allow a user to use apt-get update && apt-get upgrade without allowing them to install or remove packages. You can just allow them to mount & unmount drives without giving them any other admin privileges.

That said, I don't use sudo that way, and most home users have no reason to.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

DBeckett

#13 Post by DBeckett »

timkb4cq wrote:Sudo is a lot more configurable for multi-user environments. For example, you can allow a user to use apt-get update && apt-get upgrade without allowing them to install or remove packages. You can just allow them to mount & unmount drives without giving them any other admin privileges.

That said, I don't use sudo that way, and most home users have no reason to.
I had forgotten all about a multi-user environment. I've never had to deal with that.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

lucky9

#14 Post by lucky9 »

One of the main reasons I don't like sudo is that you have to sudo this, then sudo that, then sudo the other thing. With su you just su to root and go on and do all that you need to do. Then close the Konsole/Terminal. Done.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Package Requests / Status”