vdrift

For developer discussion on package requests
Brooko

#11 Post by Brooko »

Stevo

I'm downloading it now. I'll probably have a go later. I can upload it direct to CR MAIN in the weekend after I test it.
Desktop - Win 8-64 : Corsair 520HX, P5Q Pro, Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066, Asus GTX560 OC, 3xWD 500Gb Sata2, Asus CD/DVD, Logitech Wave Kb, G5, C300 Cam, Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV + GigaWorks T20.
Netbook - Ubuntu 12.04 64b, Asus 1015PED 2Gb Ram

banshee

#12 Post by banshee »

First of all: thanks.
debhelper (>= 6), scons,
libsdl-gfx1.2-dev, libsdl-image1.2-dev,
libsdl-net1.2-dev, libvorbis-dev, libglew-dev,
libasio-dev, libboost-regex1.40-dev
libavasio-dev will remove libboost-regex.140-dev, libboost-regex1.40-dev will remove libavasio-dev (same problem on Debian-Lenny, btw).
For now i worked around it with "aptitude install -r libboost-regex*"

I read throught the linked how-to, but must have been too tired (or confused). Those are the three files, right?:
vdrift_20090615-1~getdeb1.diff.gz
vdrift_20090615-1~getdeb1.dsc
vdrift_20090615.orig.tar.gz
(cause in the link and how-to i find nothing about "getdeb")

kesuda

#13 Post by kesuda »

working with file vdrift-2009-06-15-src.tar.bz2

using these instructions:
VDrift Install Instructions for Linux:

Prerequisites:

Make sure you have all the required libraries and build tools. Make sure you also have the development files for each of the libraries.

The required build tools include:

g++ - The GNU C++ compiler
scons - A replacement for Make
libsdl - Simple Direct Media Layer
libglew - OpenGL extension utilities
sdl-gfx - Graphics drawing primitives library for SDL
sdl-image - Image file loading library for SDL
vorbisfile - File loading library for the ogg vorbis format
libvorbis - The Vorbis General Audio Compression Codec
Boost C++ Libraries (header-file-only)
ASIO C++ Libraries (header-file-only)

All the required packages may be installed using this command:
sudo apt-get install g++ scons libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libvorbis-dev libglew-dev libasio-dev

Bullet:

As of SVN R2358 (2009-06-15 release and later), no steps are required to build bullet and you can continue to the next section.

SCons:

If you followed the directions for installing prerequisites above, then you're done and can continue on to the next section.

Get the Code:

You can get the code from a source package for a particular version, or you can get the development version.

Source Package:

Download the latest VDrift Linux source package.
All the files in the package are in a directory called vdrift-version-src where version is something like 2009-06-15.

Unpack the archive:

tar jxvf vdrift-2009-06-15-src.tar.bz2

Enter directory:

Now change directories into the location of your newly created VDrift source tree:
cd vdrift-2009-06-15

Compiling:

To compile VDrift, just use the scons command:
scons

Optional: Compile Options:

You can use one or more compile options. To compile with optimization for a certain platform, you can use the arch option.
scons arch=a64

Compiling VDrift in release mode will turn off debugging options, and enable more compiler optimizations. VDrift runs much more quickly in release mode.
scons release=1

Note: These options are probably best left off the first time you compile.
If you have problems compiling or running VDrift, it is easier to debug with them off.
Once you verify that VDrift is compiling, then recompile with these optimizations to improve performance.

Note: There are many more build and install options, see the Using SCons page for more information.

help: scons -h

Installing:

VDrift does not need to be installed to work and you can run it from the folder where you compiled it.
If you do want to install, use the SCons build target install. This command must be run as root.
sudo scons install

Running:

For release 2009-06-15 and later, if you used the default install locations, VDrift can be run with the command:
/usr/local/bin/vdrift

which boils down to:

tar jxvf vdrift-2009-02-15-src.tar.bz2

cd vdrift-2009-02-15

tar zxvf bullet-2.73-sp1.tgz

scons release=1

scons install

I had trouble getting the compiler to run complete, so I continued adding to the prerequisites list.

What I ended up with and the synaptic search to to list them:

synaptic search for asio:

libasio-dev*
libsdl1.2debian ===========1.2.13-2
ntpdate ===================1:4.2.4p4+dfsg-8lenny3

synaptic search for boost:

bjam*
boost-build*
libasio-dev
libboost1.40-all-dev
libboost1.40-dev
libboost-all-dev*
libboost-date-time1.40.0
libboost-date-time1.40-dev
libboost-date-time-dev*
libboost-dev*
libboost-filesystem1.40.0
libboost-filesystem1.40-dev
libboost-graph1.40
libboost-graph1.40-dev
libboost-graph-parallel1.40-dev
libboost-iostreams1.40.0
libboost-iostreams1.40-dev
libboost-math1.40.0
libboost-math1.40.0-dev
libboost-mpi1.40.0
libboost1.40-dev
libboost-program-options1.34.1
libboost-program-options1.40.0
libboost-program-options1.40-dev
libboost-python1.40.0
libboost-python1.40-dev
libboost-regex-1.40.0
libboost-regex-1.40-dev
libboost-regex-dev*
libboost-serialization1.40.0
libboost-serialization1.40.0-dev
libboost-signals1.40.0
libboost-signals1.40-dev
libboost-system1.40.0
libboost-system1.40-dev
libboost-test1.40.0
libboost-test1.40-dev
liboost-thread1.40.0
libboost-thread1.40-dev
libboost-wave1.40.0
libboost-wave1.40-dev

synaptic search for g++:

g++
g++-4.1
g++-4.3
libstdc++6 ================4.3.2-1.1
libstdc++6-4.1-dev
libstdc++6-4.3-dev

synaptic search for glew:

glew-utils
libglew1.5*
libglew1.5-dev*
python-pyglew

synaptic search for libsdl:

libsdl1.2debian ===========1.2.13-2
libsdl1.2debian-alsa ======1.2.13-2
libsdl1.2-dev*
libsdl-gfx1.2-4
libsdl-gfx1.2-dev*
libsdl-image1.2
libsdl-image1.2-dev*
libsdl-net1.2
libsdl-net1.2-dev*

synaptic search for scon:

libc6 ====================2.7-18
libc6-dev
libck-connector0 =========0.2.10-5+lenny1
openssl-blacklist ========0.4.2
scons*

synaptic search for libvorbis:

libvorbis0a ===========1.2.0.dfsg-3.1+lenny1
libvorbis-dev*
libvorbisenc2 =========1.2.0.dfsg-3.1+lenny1
libvorbisfile3 ========1.2.0.dfsg-3.1+lenny1

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

We have an updated libasio-dev in the mepislover's community repo that should coexist with libboost 1.40 libraries. g++ is installed as part of build-essential, one of the developer packages that is installed by following the package building guides. By following the guide, you should not have to do as much detective work trying to translate package names into the Debian equivalents.
MXPI = MX Package Installer
QSI = Quick System Info from menu
The MX Test repository is mostly backports; not the same as Debian testing

banshee

#15 Post by banshee »

To keep it short: i tried it for a long time and it seems to be above me
(the building of vdrift, not the two guides).

I didn't know and didn't use the libasio-dev from the CR, but tried different other approaches (which all solved the dependencies -problem), but the build failed again and again at all kind of other points.
I didn't do much detective work but have installed the dependencies you have listed above.

I for one will let it be for now, it seems too difficult for me.
The guides were a good hint.

Thanks for all the help.

Brooko

#16 Post by Brooko »

If you are prepared to wait until the weekend (when I actually have time to build it), I'll compile it and then upload it to the CR. You can then install via synaptic.
Desktop - Win 8-64 : Corsair 520HX, P5Q Pro, Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066, Asus GTX560 OC, 3xWD 500Gb Sata2, Asus CD/DVD, Logitech Wave Kb, G5, C300 Cam, Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV + GigaWorks T20.

banshee

#17 Post by banshee »

Brooko wrote:If you are prepared to wait until the weekend (when I actually have time to build it), I'll compile it and then upload it to the CR. You can then install via synaptic.
I must have been unclear.
That is my plan.
Thanks.

Would be nice if you could add some info if it worked nice and easy or with problems too (i learned some stuff while doing it, but feel a bit stupid now...)

Stevo
Developer

#18 Post by Stevo »

banshee wrote:I must have been unclear.
That is my plan.
Thanks.

Would be nice if you could add some info if it worked nice and easy or with problems too (i learned some stuff while doing it, but feel a bit stupid now...)
The only stupid questions are those that never get asked. You should have seen how long I flailed around trying to compile programs the right ways before we figured out how to backport.

When I do something kinda tricky when backporting a package, I will make a note of that in the debian/changelog file, which gets installed in the /usr/share/docs/package-name directory as "changelog.Debian.gz" ( a zipped file) For example, I ran into a snag when trying to backport QT 4.6.3: the latest versions of dpkg-dev in upstream Debian allow the packagers to use binary files in the /debian folder, where our version restricts us to only ASCII text files. So I got a build failure about illegal png icons in the /debian folder.

I solved it by looking at the changelog to see when the Debian packager had started adding binary files, then downloading the QT 4.6 version before that to see how they had handled things. They had converted the binary files to text-based uue files, then converted them back to the original binaries during the installation part of the build. I copied that part of the rules file into the newer version I was trying to build, and converted the binaries into uu files myself and stuck them in place of the .png files, so that older build section would work.

That's a bit more trouble than we usually see when backporting, though. Usually we just have to additonal newer libraries.
MXPI = MX Package Installer
QSI = Quick System Info from menu
The MX Test repository is mostly backports; not the same as Debian testing

Brooko

#19 Post by Brooko »

Banshee
It wasn't a straight-forward build. Eventually tracked down the error - it needed a later glew (libglew1.5-dev) so I backported that from testing first, installed the new -dev file, and after that it built ok.

BTW - it's a really polished game. I have the benefit of a quad + a GTX260, so I put it on full screen (1680x1050), and maxed out most of the graphics options, and I was still getting +60 fps. The attention to detail with lighting, shadows etc is really good.

Anyway - I've built both 32 and 64b and am in process of loading them straight to CR MAIN now (it's over 1Gb upload because of the source file, so it's going to take me a while). I'd guess allowing 2 days for the server to sync before it's available.

Only one possible glitch - didn't see a menu icon. You can add one yourself - the binary is in /usr/games/vdrift. There's an icon at /usr/share/pixmaps/vdrift.xpm.

banshee

#20 Post by banshee »

Thanks a lot.
I will wait till after weekend and give it a try
(and good that you say it is worth the "trouble" or work).

For my learning i will stick to more easy stuff.

:-)

Return to “Package Requests / Status”