-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX Linux is getting better and better.

Here you can post about what you did to get MEPIS to work right with your computer or if hardware worked right out of the box for you. This is for the computers and/or hardware that is normally hard to get working right in Linux or MEPIS.
Richard

MX Linux is getting better and better.

#1 Post by Richard » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:35 pm

I found MX-Linux a few days after MX-14 was released. Still using MX-15 & 16 on several computers, 32 & 64 bit.
Currently, MX-16.1, mostly on 32 bit netbook since loss of internet at home due to theft of phone cables.

Today, while connected from a friend's house, I started a search on DistroWatch, using my criteria for a desirable Xfce distro, which, not surprisingly, returned the following 5 top choices:
The following distributions match your criteria (sorted by popularity):

1. Linux Mint (1)
Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.
1. Linux Mint (1) : last actively used Xubuntu about 2011.
2. antiX (22)
antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy-to-install Linux live CD distribution based on Debian's "Stable" branch for x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the "antiX Magic" in an environment suitable for old computers. The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 256 MB old PIII systems with pre-configured swap to the latest powerful boxes. 256 MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. The installer needs minimum 2.7 GB hard disk size. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue CD. A special Xfce edition made in collaboration with the MEPIS Community called "MX" is also available.
2. antiX (22) : IceWM was my favorite for several years, replaced by Xfce4.
3. MX Linux (23)
MX Linux, a desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Debian's "stable" branch, is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS Linux communities. Using Xfce as the default desktop, it is a mid-weight operating system designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint.
3. MX Linux (23) : Discovered a few days after the release of MX-14. In daily use since 02-Apr-2014. Note: MX Linux uses SystemV init plus systemd-shim for compatibility. It doesn't actually use systemd.
4. Refracta (196)
Refracta is a Linux distribution based on Devuan GNU+Linux (a systemd-free fork of Debian), designed primarily for home computer users and also for use as a system rescue and recovery disk. It provides a simple and familiar layout using the Xfce desktop. Other desktop environments and additional software packages are available from the Devuan package repository. Besides providing a Linux distribution on a live CD, the project also develops useful tools, such as refractainstaller, refractasnapshot and refracta2usb which allow users to customize the installation and create custom live CD or live USB images.
4. Refracta (196) : Currently Devuan based. The original, based on Debian, provided some code and the inspiration for the incredible MX-Snapshot.
5. Star (300)
Star is a desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Devuan GNU/Linux. Star is available in a range of editions, each featuring a lightweight desktop environment. Star is small enough to fit on a CD and uses SysV init software.
5. Star (300) : Devuan based. Devuan still developing as a fork from Debian without systemd.
MX18b1: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-amd64, 119 GB SSD
MX18b1: Eee&AA1 NBs: Dual Core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-686, 150 GB HDD
DoubleCmd/Thunar, LibO613, Dropbox, Vivaldi/Firefox, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

Leo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX Linux is getting better and better.

#2 Post by Leo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:56 am

Jeez, "theft of phone cables"...sorry, bub...
There are exceptions to every rule...
and I know I'm exceptional... :lion2:
:linuxlove:
Linux user #415188
Linux machine #446574
Athlon 64 3400+, nVidia MX440, 2GB, MX-16

Return to “Success Stories”