-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Ye Old PCs

Here you can post about what you did to get MEPIS to work right with your computer or if hardware worked right out of the box for you. This is for the computers and/or hardware that is normally hard to get working right in Linux or MEPIS.
Pierre

Ye Old PCs

#1 Post by Pierre » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:50 am

there are still some seriously ancient PCs out there
& some friends have one each.
( win-xp / 256Mb / 40Gb hdd ) :eek:
so - one died & the win_xp was replaced with MX-15 & it worked great - for a while.
it was the updates that eventually slowed it down, somewhat.

has anyone else seen this happen .. ..
& would anti-X work a bit better ?.

to this end - I've been doing a little testing of both MX & anti-X from v13 & v15,
with them all in a VB setup - there is a small difference in performance, between them all, it seems.
- the main issue with doing this, is that the testing CPU is twice as fast as that in these old PCs.

therefore - has any one else had this scenario before?.
- ancient PCs.
some of your thoughts ?

james c
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Ye Old PCs

#2 Post by james c » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:13 am

Mainly for testing purposes, I'm running AntiX 15 on an old P3 (733 mhz and 256 mb ram w/ some swap) and it's pretty usable. No speed-demon but it'll surf the net,play videos,and other basic stuff.

AntiX seems quite a bit "lighter" than MX on the older hardware to me.But,your mileage may vary.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by lucky9 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 am

If there is a slowdown after upgrading someone has usually changed the default repositories. This will mess up any system. Even my 10 year old one.
So, no, a slowdown is not normal after a default upgrade.

For 250 MB you really need antiX.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by asqwerth » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 am

The XFCE desktop environment itself takes up more RAM than antiX's Fluxbox.

If you read this review on MX-14: http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.sg/2014/ ... truly.html

there is a RAM-usage comparison halfway through the review between various XFCE-using distros. XFCE on MX14 uses up 130 MB RAM with the task manager running, so I'm estimating XFCE alone will take up maybe 100+ MB RAM?

With only 256MB RAM, it's certainly better to use antiX. Assuming 32-bit MX15 has similar or slightly higher RAM demands as MX14, you're left with maybe 130-140 MB for other programs you wish to use. That's pretty tight.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

john_j
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by john_j » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:05 am

For systems with really small amounts of RAM you might to be sure and have a little over twice as much SWAP space as RAM as well. So for 256 Meg of RAM maybe 550 Meg of SWAP. I do love MX and anti-X, but for really old systems maybe Puppy Linux or a derivative like Simplicity would be the way to go. I don't, honestly, know if they'd be any faster than anti-X, but I do enjoy throwing a few distros on USB and checking them out. I've been using anti-X and MX on my laptop for several years as they're stable, work great and look great :)

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:07 am

AntiX seems quite a bit "lighter" than MX on the older hardware to me
MX was never intended for old machines, which is why we have the specific word "midweight" in the mission paragraph on the home page.

BTW: here is how Xfce itself looks at the question (linked in our mission paragraph): https://wiki.xfce.org/minimum_requirements
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Pierre

#7 Post by Pierre » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:12 am

on older PCs - I've gotten into the habit of giving 1000Mb over to a /swap space.
- although on the really old & slow HDDs - this isn't always particularly effective.

with this particular PC, it may pay to install the slightly older anti-X 13, as it is a bit lighter,
than the later releases, by some 30Mb in total.

compare that to another PC, which has some 2Ghz cpu & 4Gb ram && simply flies with MX-15.
( win-10 was dumped, as it couldn’t use the WiFi card & MX-15 did )

anyway - a few more years & these Really Old PCs will finally fail,
and even the PAE issue will fade away.
But - it's a Nice Success Story, when dealing with these older PCs.
:happy:

robert1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by robert1 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:09 pm

i used to get these old Pentium 3 & 4 PC's out of the trash or people have given them to me. the one thing i found out is that many of these PC's can support up to 2 GB of ram. the best & cheapest place to get ram for these is on Ebay. what you need to do is look at the motherboard, copy the model & make of the motherboard (it is usually silkscreened on the board between the Ram sockets & the southbridge chip). once you copy the info, do a google search on the motherboards model number, usually, you could find the user manual to that particular board & it will give you the info that you need to the proper ram that it uses.

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by zeeone » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Use AntiX-15 with LXDE for the desktop loaded on a 16 gig card USB 2, takes longer to load up, works great when loaded.
Still has 9.5 gig to play with on this 9 year old 32 bit machine. Increase the memory to the machine's max and give
AntiX a shot.
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Return to “Success Stories”