How-to install Waterfox on AntiX, using LiveCD?

devva231

How-to install Waterfox on AntiX, using LiveCD?

#1 Post by devva231 »

I had been using MX Linux for about a year before switching to AntiX, unfortunately the way I installed Waterfox on MX does not work on AntiX, so I need a step-by-step method to do this...GUI only please. And yes, I'm aware the Waterfox install on a LiveCD will not persistent.

Also, can anyone figure out how I screwed up the Slimjet install? I went through the 'package manager'. Followed the steps, it gave no indication anything went wrong, said it was finished, asked if I wanted to close it, and I did. Then nothing. No icon appeared on the desktop, and when I went to 'browser' on the control panel only Firefox opened. AntiX is definitely playing by different rules than MX, and I got no clue what those rules are. I at least got Slimjet installed and to open on MX...even if the sound was either screwed up or MIA!

caprea

Re: How-to install Waterfox on AntiX, using LiveCD?

#2 Post by caprea »

The best GUI-way to install browsers on antiX is
Control-centre--> system--> package-installler

After installing slimjet it should appear in the menu( what you call control-panel I think )
under menu--> applications--> internet-->flashpeak-slimjet

It is possible that on a live-cd waterfox does not appear in the package-installer under browsers, because the system would need all updates for this initially.

Then please install waterfox with synaptic (package-manager ) after you updated the sources wth the reload-button in synaptic.

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

devva231

#4 Post by devva231 »

caprea wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:27 pm The best GUI-way to install browsers on antiX is
Control-centre--> system--> package-installler

After installing slimjet it should appear in the menu( what you call control-panel I think )
under menu--> applications--> internet-->flashpeak-slimjet

It is possible that on a live-cd waterfox does not appear in the package-installer under browsers, because the system would need all updates for this initially.

Then please install waterfox with synaptic (package-manager ) after you updated the sources wth the reload-button in synaptic.
Yeah, that is exactly how I did it: Control-centre--> system--> package-installler
The Slimjet install seemed to go okay, package installer said it was finished, ask if I wanted to shut it down, I complied. No icon on the AntiX desktop wallpaper as it was in MX Linux, and no Slimjet choice in the 'browsers' either....just Firefox junk as the default. This sorta works in MX Linux, although the sound is either screwed up or MIA, but nothing at all in AntiX!. I'll try again and look under menu--> applications--> internet-->flashpeak-slimjet.

Waterfox was not listed in package-installer in AntiX. I vaguely recall it was the same in MX Linux, but was in synaptic, but never worked after installing. I had to install it from its website, but this process does not work in AntiX. MX Linux and AntiX seem to be playing by different rules, or maybe its a whole new game. Stuff I could do easily in MX Linux is a hit-or-miss (mostly miss) in AntiX. I'll try synaptic in AntiX to see if Waterfox is listed and will install right.

devva231

#5 Post by devva231 »

I tried again today, and managed to get Slimjet installed from your directions. Bad news is that just as with MX Linux, Slimjet sound is MIA on Youtube and Putlocker videos.

Waterfox (so far as I can tell) is not in synaptic....neither listed directly, nor did using the search box find it. In MX Linux I had to install Waterfox from its homesite, but the way I did this in MX does not work in AntiX.

As I detest Firefox almost as much as Chrome, I really need to get Slimjet and Waterfox working in AntiX.

caprea

#6 Post by caprea »

In the upper left corner of synaptic is a reload button (with a circular arrow),
you have to click on it.
This will reload the sources and waterfox should appear.
Which version of antiX is the live-cd ?

Return to “antiX”