antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

namida12

Re: antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

#21 Post by namida12 »

Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics, has problem playing video.

Trying to watch a video, it plays then fades out (screen goes black) then plays again. Sound continues properly. the 5 second long video toggles video/black screen. This did not happen in AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with B2 the video played.
Graphics: Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: vesa resolution: 1920x1080~N/A
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6

Same mkv video plays properly on Quad Core model: AMD Athlon II X4 630 - On system or from a flash drive.
Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV670 [Radeon HD 3690/3850] driver: radeon v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RV670 (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.9.189-antix.1-amd64-smp LLVM 7.0.1) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6

Do I need to install AMD drivers for the Ryzen 3 2200G?

JR

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#22 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you probably need a later kernel for vega graphics. I doubt the 4.9 kernel supports it.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

BitJam
Developer

#23 Post by BitJam »

namida12 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 pmDo I need to install AMD drivers for the Ryzen 3 2200G?
I think you need to install a newer kernel. Others may be able to tell you for sure. The problem we are uip against is the newer kernels cause problems on older hardware while the older kernels cause problems on newer hardware. Since antiX is aimed at older systems we opted for an older kernel.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

namida12

#24 Post by namida12 »

dolphin_oracle, and BitJam,

System would not run with updated Kernel in b1 or b2, but will try again this afternoon.

JR

namida12

#25 Post by namida12 »

Kernel-antix_64bit_latest_meltdown-patched --- antix Kernel 64 bit Meltdown, Spectre and Foreshadow patched (5.2.8)
Kernel-antix_64bit_meltdown-patched ------------ Fallback Debian 4.19 64bit linux kernel (Meltdown patched)

Can not go beyond "Setting battery charge thresholds...done <---See attached photo

Same as b1, and b2 installs...

Question does sgfxi still work? Or is the windows only update Motherboard the problem?
Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B450M Pro4 serial: <root required> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: P1.10 date: 06/19/2018
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

namida12

#26 Post by namida12 »

Maybe time for another motherboard?

This looks like BS, but I am in the glue ...
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M%20P ... x.asp#BIOS

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#27 Post by JayM »

Boot your live USB with persistence enabled, install the 64-bit version of linux-image-5.2.8-antix, remaster, reboot from the USB, run the live usb kernel updater and select your new kernel, reboot from the USB again and reinstall antiX 19 b3. Then you can pursue installing the Nvidia driver instead of nouveau if you want to, once you're able to boot.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

zebedeeboss

#28 Post by zebedeeboss »

BitJam wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:21 am
zebedeeboss wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:32 pm How I did it with the problems associated with an nvidia RTX graphics card.
1 Boot to live USB
2 drop to tty login as root (it will probably do this auto due to RTX issues - this is Linux wide and not anything specific to do with Antix)
[...]
Did you try the safe video mode on the live system? I'd like to try to get the live system to get to X on your hardware. The trick used to be to block the nouveau driver with the "nomodeset" boot option and then use the vesa driver with "xorg=vesa". These should both be (effectively) set when you select safe video. If we can find a way for you to get to X booting live then I can try to automatically detect your graphics hardware and do it automatically.

Once you get to the command line you can see if the nouveau driver is being loaded anyway with the command:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep nouveau
If "nomodeset" is no longer working (to prevent the nouveau driver from being loaded) then you could try "blacklist=nouveau" but sometimes that gets ignored as well. If the nouveau driver is still getting loaded then I will add "nuke=xxx" boot parameter to remove drivers that we can't prevent from loading.
apologies for the delay - I never got an e-mail...

Unless I am missing something there is no "Safe mode" in the menu on the live usb

There is a 1024x768 mode in advanced ? as well as a fail safe

nomodeset does not work and neither does adding xorg=vesa

I have a photo of the lsmod command Image

Regards Zeb
Linux User #565092
ASUS Prime X399-A | AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper 2950X Processor | 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz | Zotac RTX™ 4070 | Gigabyte RTX3050 |49" Samsung Odyssey G9 QLED Dual-QHD 240Hz, Monitor 5120x1440 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb

BitJam
Developer

#29 Post by BitJam »

zebedeeboss wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:04 amapologies for the delay - I never got an e-mail...
No problem.
Unless I am missing something there is no "Safe mode" in the menu on the live usb
There is in the legacy bootloader but not the UEFI boot loader.
There is a 1024x768 mode in advanced ? as well as a fail safe
Failsafe does the same things as safe video but also loads more drivers from the live initrd.
nomodeset does not work and neither does adding xorg=vesa
Just to be sure, you used the "nomodeset" boot parameter but the nouveau driver got loaded anyway? If so then I think I will need to make a "nuke=" boot parameter that actually moves the driver out of the way. Sheesh.

If you want to, you could see if the new nuke option would work for you. Use the boot parameters:

nomodeset
xorg=vesa
bp=b9
This last one should open up a Bash shell right before we boot the system. Then try nuking the nouveau driver with these two commands:

find /lib/modules/ -name nouveau.ko -delete
depmod
This will remove the nouveau module and rebuild the module dependency indexes so the system knows the module is not there any more.

If this works then the nouveau driver will not get loaded and you will get to X with the vesa driver. There should be a file created at /etc/X11/xorg.conf that tells X to load the vesa driver. If we don't create this file then you should still get to X but using the fbdev driver so the X resolution will be pegged to the resolution of the consoles, which actually might be okay/better than using vesa if you are booting UEFI.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Moltke

#30 Post by Moltke »

Working good here :happy: The only issue I've found so far is the same one I've been dealing with since 17.2 and that's the fact that my usb hdd won't mount, instead I have to manually. Strange thing - at least for me - is that it does after installing XFCE. Guess something's missing and it gets installed along with xfce, not idea what that might be though.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Return to “antiX”