Running Antix from USB - noob questions

Yellowhoney

Running Antix from USB - noob questions

#1 Post by Yellowhoney »

I am just wondering, does Antix run like Puppy Linux while running from USB

Looking for a portable USB I can plug into damage family PC , school PC and use my own OS , etc

Puppy kinda work for me however I only run deb only . because pets hardly get updated. but I can't even get Teamspeak working on puppy , while on Antix it works first go.( testing on VM full installed)

so is persistence mode like how puppy saves everything to the 4fn file. Does the whole system run and upload into RAM ?
Ive ran ubuntu and installed to a USB et4 .... and it sucked!!!! USB was so hot from the consent reading and writing, and it was way to slow vs puppy
2007 20* Imac running 3gb MX18.3
i5 4670k 16gb ram

mxer

Re: Running Antix from USB - noob questions

#3 Post by mxer »

Yes, it will be better than puppy, because it uses a mainstream distro as its base.

It can be used in persistence mode, can be loaded to ram, can be remastered, & can be written to a new image to put onto your pendrive for portability.

(Also, you could do the same with MX, I believe, as the two distros share a lot, when it comes to remastering, etc.)
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the whole system does not have to load into ram (although it can). use the "persist_static" boot options from either the F5 boot menu (on legacy bios boot) or from the "Customize...." boot menu on UEFI boots. the system will walk you through it.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Yellowhoney

#5 Post by Yellowhoney »

i thought running the whole OS from ram would be faster, I'm looking at running always-on computer that have atleast 2gb of ram mostly 4gb+
i5 4670k 16gb ram

figueroa

#6 Post by figueroa »

Yellowhoney wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:58 pm i thought running the whole OS from ram would be faster, I'm looking at running always-on computer that have atleast 2gb of ram mostly 4gb+
The short answer is yes, antiX works very well loading it all into RAM. At the boot screen, F4, pick toram, after it boots, unmount the live-usb and remove it. Or, use persistence, also select F5, persist-root, leaving the live-usb installed and mounted so you can save your changes. Or, mount something else and save your personal files as you go. If you don't care about saving personal files and/or changes, don't mount anything and it's bulletproof.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Yellowhoney

#7 Post by Yellowhoney »

I understand persistence (kinda) when I've tested ubuntu ... and tested puppy Linux that save all the data only when it shut down.
does persistence wear out your USB faster? I would rather something like puppy Linux but with the better documenting /howtoguide from ubuntu/deb like anitx . but i dont want keep rebuilding my USB after it fails
i5 4670k 16gb ram

Return to “antiX”