[SOLVED] Updating antiX

#1 Post by Klaas Vaak »

Does one get update notices, or do I have to type

Code: Select all

apt-get update
and

apt-get distr-upgrade
command in the terminal from time to time?
Last edited by Klaas Vaak on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Updating antiX

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

Do the latter - except you have a typo

apt-get dist-upgrade
and do get into the habit of reading the output before blindly pressing Enter.

Enjoy!
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

caprea

#3 Post by caprea »

You already know, that if you open a terminal, and use the up- and down-arrows,
you can go back to a previously written command ?
You don't have to type it again.

Klaas Vaak

#4 Post by Klaas Vaak »

anticapitalista wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm Do the latter - except you have a typo

apt-get dist-upgrade
and do get into the habit of reading the output before blindly pressing Enter.
Enjoy!
Thanks for the feedback. It was not a typo in that I typed it from memory, my apologies for the error - to err is human.

Klaas Vaak

#5 Post by Klaas Vaak »

caprea wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:48 pm You already know, that if you open a terminal, and use the up- and down-arrows,
you can go back to a previously written command ?
You don't have to type it again.
Yes, I know about the arrows, but I don't understand what you mean by it in this context.

PPC

Re: [SOLVED] Updating antiX

#6 Post by PPC »

@Klaas Vaak- I know this post is marked as ""solved"- in fact in antiX you don't get update notices (not out of the box), but I automated the updating and upgrading process with a script over at viewtopic.php?f=40&t=48644
Let me know if you want to try that script but are having any problems... It's ideal if you don't like typing commands on the terminal.
Also you can do updates/upgrades via synaptic, pressing the first three icons on the left, from left to right, in turn...

P.

Klaas Vaak

Re: [SOLVED] Updating antiX

#7 Post by Klaas Vaak »

PPC wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am @Klaas Vaak- I know this post is marked as ""solved"- in fact in antiX you don't get update notices (not out of the box), but I automated the updating and upgrading process with a script over at viewtopic.php?f=40&t=48644
Let me know if you want to try that script but are having any problems... It's ideal if you don't like typing commands on the terminal.
Also you can do updates/upgrades via synaptic, pressing the first three icons on the left, from left to right, in turn...

P.
Thanks for your suggestion. It made me check if I have Synaptic because I have the full version of antiX installed. Synaptic is present. The only thing is that when I clicked on Synaptic it told me a few things were a bit "messed up" (my term) and it showed me how to amend. So, I assume I will now get update notifications automatically.

BTW, I did go to that page with your script thread. I must say I was a bit surprised by the sarcasm of some, and I was similarly surprised by the (intentional?) misunderstanding by someone else of your use of the word "newbie". Let's say that's what keeps life interesting.
Meanwhile, I'll see if I do get those automatic update notifications, if not I may well use your script and will let you know. I like scripts more than apps because they can make life so much easier without a great strain on resources like apps. I also use them in e.g. Firefox to replace extensions where possible.

Return to “antiX”