[SOLVED] Sound volume at 100% still low

Klaas Vaak

Re: Sound volume at 100% still low

#21 Post by Klaas Vaak »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 pm well, both pulseaudio and pavucontrol are installed, so I'm not sure why pavucontrol wouldn't be in the menu.

I figured pulseaudio was installed, since you had the single channel in alsamixer.
So, what about my last questions?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#22 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I don't know why pulseaudo volume control isn't in the menu, but the volume keys can be enabled by right clicking on the volume icon, going to preferences, and checking the boxes by the volume keys.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Klaas Vaak

#23 Post by Klaas Vaak »

OK Dolphin Oracle, I think we have reached the end of the road on this subject. I just managed to activate the keyboard volume keys :smile:
Many thanks for your patience and persistence. We'll undoubtedly meet again in another thread. Cheers.

carolus

Re: [SOLVED] Sound volume at 100% still low

#24 Post by carolus »

The only way I was able to get full sound volume from external speakers using antiX 19.3 (live-USB) was to install pulseaudio. This solved the problem, but there are unexpected consequences.

After installing pulseaudio and starting it with "pulsaudio --start" ("service start pulseaudio" does not work) I was able to raise the sound level with pavucontrol to a level comparable to MX or Windows. However, this disabled the volume control icon on the bottom panel.

Surprisingly, rebooting retains the elevated volume limit even without restarting pulseaudio. (ps -e showed that pulseaudio was not running.) Also, the panel volume control again works properly.

This suggests that pulseaudio is not needed, and running it just performs some configuration change in alsa. However, I don't see anything about sound level in /etc/asound and there is no ~/.asoundrc file. Maybe some alsa guru can find a simple fix without installing pulseaudio.

As an aside, on my 10-year-old Windows 7 machine used as an entertainment center, antiX not only boots faster than Windows (from a USB2 stick!) but also plays without interruption streams from sites (notably Metropolitan Opera and Vienna State Opera) that tend to freeze up in Windows using either Firefox or Chrome.

Return to “antiX”