Few questions on AntiX

phirephoto

Few questions on AntiX

#1 Post by phirephoto »

Running 4.9.87-antix.1-amd64-smp . Few questions.. Did googling but not able to find the answers...

How do I install sound drivers? I have a HP 17-ak001DS 17-ak00x. Audio does not work. Not getting any sound. :( Well - I am, but basically have to put my head next to the speaker to hear it.

Google drive. I installed Gnome Connection Center . https://www.howtogeek.com/196635/an-off ... -ever-get/ ... But I don't see my Google Drive anywhere?

Is there a way to disable the password when the computer comes out of hibernation / standby (not sure which - I close the lid, and when I open it, get a white screen with a black box asking for password.

How do I ... 'search' the Launch Menu? Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: I installed Launchy - https://www.launchy.net/ . I'd like to be able to open launchy and type 'google chrome'. So what path is the items in the Launch Menu? I did updatedb, then locate Google, but not finding like Google Chrome. If that makes sense?

Last (for now I hope LOL) is it possible to move - or is it necessary to move my /usr? My boot drive is a 128 GB SSD. I have a second drive, 1 TB spindle.

Thanks, and love the OS so far!

Thanks.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Few questions on AntiX

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

i can answer the sound one.

the volume is just low. use the alsamixer to adjust your channel volumes. I usually max mine out, except for the inputs.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#3 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Watch some videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFWlej ... 5uE9opXukQ

use the which command in terminal for finding bin file launchers. Tab key is your auto complete friend when in terminal.

The name I figure to look for is ' google-chromestable ' No?

AntiX is easy to run for my un skilled talents. Glad you are having a ball with it.

Edit: Oh yeah. Below command readout would be nice to post when asking questions on AntiX so members like can figure out your hardware and what you are running.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzr
:cool:

antiX-Dave
Developer

#4 Post by antiX-Dave »

#1 not certain as I have not yet had to install a sound driver... perhaps a search of alsa in synaptic would shed some light. But as D.O says if you hear some sound chances are the levels are off and need to be configured. Maybe alsa configuration in Google would help.

#2 I do not have Google Drive auto sync as I am now using owncloud, but I am fairly certain their own app works. I know the web interface works.

#3 iirc, apt-get purge xlockmore or search xlockmore in synaptic

#4 good question, multiple answers to it. I used to use xfce4-appfinder. Now I know most apps well enough to use the run dialog and tab button

#5 yes, boot live cd, format a partition for /usr, mount the install directory and your new partition, rsync the files over (grsync is a good gui), run blkid in terminal to get the uuid of the new partition, edit /etc/fstab on your installed drive for an entry to mount that uuid to /usr. Reboot.

Alternatively you could use a directory instead of a partition and bind mount the one directory to the other...

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Sound drivers are already built in the kernel for almost all devices, and yours is working, since you have sound. So the real question is how to pump up the volume, which is alsamixer, as d_o suggested.

phirephoto

#6 Post by phirephoto »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:42 pm i can answer the sound one.

the volume is just low. use the alsamixer to adjust your channel volumes. I usually max mine out, except for the inputs.
Ahhh thanks. That did it. Audio is still somewhat low, but might be bad speakers :(

Thanks!

phirephoto

#7 Post by phirephoto »

antiX-Dave wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:36 pm #1 not certain as I have not yet had to install a sound driver... perhaps a search of alsa in synaptic would shed some light. But as D.O says if you hear some sound chances are the levels are off and need to be configured. Maybe alsa configuration in Google would help.

#2 I do not have Google Drive auto sync as I am now using owncloud, but I am fairly certain their own app works. I know the web interface works.

#3 iirc, apt-get purge xlockmore or search xlockmore in synaptic

#4 good question, multiple answers to it. I used to use xfce4-appfinder. Now I know most apps well enough to use the run dialog and tab button

#5 yes, boot live cd, format a partition for /usr, mount the install directory and your new partition, rsync the files over (grsync is a good gui), run blkid in terminal to get the uuid of the new partition, edit /etc/fstab on your installed drive for an entry to mount that uuid to /usr. Reboot.

Alternatively you could use a directory instead of a partition and bind mount the one directory to the other...
Thanks for the ideas! xlockmore worked!
Is there a way to launch appfinder with a keystroke / key command, ie alt - space?

I can't find a google drive app for linux. Am I missing it?

phirephoto

#8 Post by phirephoto »

Ahh found how to make a hotkey for appfinder. Is there a way to make it a toggle? ie if I hit alt-space it launched launchy. if I hit it again, it closes launchy. If I hit alt-space, it launches appfinder. If I hit it again, it launches another instance?

antiX-Dave
Developer

#9 Post by antiX-Dave »

Yes, make a bash script...
Basic idea:
If process found ; then
Kill process
Else
Start process
Fi

You could be fancy and when you start the process via the script it records the pid number and when you kill it use the pid that was recorded. I will see if I can make / dig up this type of script.

Alternatively for now
Alt space -> open
Alt f4 -> close

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

I believe that Gnome has built-in Gdrive support, but I use the command-line "grive" program that's in the MX repo to sync a folder with Google Drive.

Return to “antiX”