how do I change screen resolution?

lonesomepoint

how do I change screen resolution?

#1 Post by lonesomepoint »

I had to switch to a spare laptop that has only 2 GB RAM, and before long, the slowness provoked me to switch to the antiX partition I don't usually boot, expecting less demand on the memory. But it seems I must have made a mistake during its installation: the screen resolution is much too low. I almost never need to adjust the screen resolution, so I don't remember where those controls are. I'm digging through the menus, but does anyone mind telling me?

This error is starting to look more peculiar. I did find that "Display" application right there and I ran it, but it doesn't offer me any option except 1024 x 768. I wonder what I did wrong during the installation, which wasn't that recent--it's antiX 16.2.

I think I encountered this problem before, back before MX, but so long ago that I don't remember what the solution was.
Last edited by lonesomepoint on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mauser

Re: how do I change screen resolution?

#2 Post by Mauser »

Settings>Display
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

lonesomepoint

#3 Post by lonesomepoint »

Mauser wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:03 am Settings>Display
Right, found it while you were posting that.

This error is starting to look more peculiar. I did find that "Display" application right there and I ran it, but it doesn't offer me any option except 1024 x 768. I wonder what I did wrong during the installation, which wasn't that recent--it's antiX 16.2.

I think I encountered this problem before, back before MX, but so long ago that I don't remember what the solution was. I vaguely remember editing a file manually...

Mauser

#4 Post by Mauser »

Make sure it's showing the correct display. Click on it if it's wrong to change it to what it's suppose to be. If you have it hooked to a TV or an other monitor it could cause the issue you are having.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

lonesomepoint

#5 Post by lonesomepoint »

Nothing but 1024 x 768 available. Yeah, I'm pretty positive I remember being told to edit some file in this situation.

I should mention that the screen diagonal is 13". (Thinkpad X120e)

lonesomepoint

#6 Post by lonesomepoint »

At least I was right to think using antiX would be an excellent solution to the reduced RAM. It considerably alleviated the slowness.

lonesomepoint

#8 Post by lonesomepoint »

This is strange. I tried that page, but I can't find the antiX control center in the menus. Or arandr. I have arandr and can run it from a terminal; but like the display adjuster, arandr doesn't offer me any resolution except 1024 x 768. I need to remember what that file to edit was called.

This is one of those problems where, because of how fast and easy installing MX and antiX are anyway, I'm tempted to just dig out the liveCD and my external optical drive, and reinstall. Between the installation and installing all the software I want, it takes only around 20-25 minutes. But I know there's a solution more surgical than blowing it up. I've done it before, I just don't remember how.

The antiX control center is probably there like it should be, but seemingly missing from the menu. I forgot what the executive is to run it from a terminal--antixcc?

I should go play with it on the liveCD anyway when I have the time. This is mostly because I'm rusty on antiX.

male

#9 Post by male »

lonesomepoint wrote: This is strange. I tried that page, but I can't find the antiX control center in the menus. Or arandr. I have arandr and can run it from a terminal; but like the display adjuster, arandr doesn't offer me any resolution except 1024 x 768. I need to remember what that file to edit was called.
ControllCenter

Code: Select all

apt policy antix-cc-full-antix
antix-cc-full-antix:
  Installiert:           0.4.12
  Installationskandidat: 0.4.12
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 0.4.12 500
        500 https://ftp.fau.de/mxlinux-packages/antix/stretch stretch/main amd64 Packages
        500 https://ftp.fau.de/mxlinux-packages/antix/stretch stretch/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
arandr

Code: Select all

apt policy arandr
arandr:
  Installiert:           0.1.9-2
  Installationskandidat: 0.1.9-2
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 0.1.9-2 500
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status