AntiX may get more users in the future

KBD

Re: AntiX may get more users in the future

#11 Post by KBD »

clicktician wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:09 am Over half of the education market is owned by Chromebook. Apple and Microsoft, having failed to compete to shareholder expectations, are trying to position products that leverage these customers as they grow up and move on. The trouble is, they're not moving on.
Google has strategically campaigned to strengthen ChromeOS with abilities to run Linux and Android apps because Google wants to fill the vacuum that's formed during critical post-education years and beyond.

What Lubuntu and a few other distros have stumbled upon, whether they realize it or not, is the surging market for Chromebook/Tablet/Convertible users who want to put their big-boy pants on. The Chromebook is modern hardware of modest power, but it can do so much more than ChromeOS provides. Neither Mac or Windows products can run on it, so what's left?

Somebody will fill this void.
Yes, tons of low spec Chromebooks already out there and more to come. AntiX and MX have a bright future :) After 5 years these machines lose Google Support and most will still be usable.

clicktician

#12 Post by clicktician »

KBD wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:03 pm AntiX and MX have a bright future :)
For Chromebooks to have stolen the education market from Apple and Microsoft in just 7 years is astounding. It will pay to ride the waves of Google's wake. I believe someday soon there will be a cloud-centric spin of Antix/MX that will install on Chromebook hardware by default. Distros will stop trying to mimic Windows and Mac in favor of presenting themselves as a natural/logical progression from ChromeOS and Android. But then, I thought flip-phones were the next great thing. Lol.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Gordon Cooper

#13 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Looking at Torrents downloads from here, AntiX is ahead of MX over the past few weeks.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

KBD

#14 Post by KBD »

clicktician wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:35 pm
KBD wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:03 pm AntiX and MX have a bright future :)
For Chromebooks to have stolen the education market from Apple and Microsoft in just 7 years is astounding. It will pay to ride the waves of Google's wake. I believe someday soon there will be a cloud-centric spin of Antix/MX that will install on Chromebook hardware by default. Distros will stop trying to mimic Windows and Mac in favor of presenting themselves as a natural/logical progression from ChromeOS and Android. But then, I thought flip-phones were the next great thing. Lol.
Installing AntiX on my Chromebook was not too hard. I flashed my bios with a script that allowed legacy boot, and just booted AntiX via usb stick and normal install.
It will come down to the exact hardware as there is a wide swath of Chromebooks. But it is a good fit and there are going to be tons of these things available in the next few years. They have essentially become the default laptop for the masses. While I'm not a big fan of Google, they have done Linux a favor by getting these things so widely adopted.

KBD

#15 Post by KBD »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:12 pm Looking at Torrents downloads from here, AntiX is ahead of MX over the past few weeks.
I'm using both. I like AntiX on my Chromebook with 2 gb ram. But MX on my X220 Thinkpad, and one of my desktop computers. MX will run on my Chromebook, but even shaving a few hundred mb of ram makes a difference on the Chromebook.

Return to “antiX”