4.14.9 Kernel crashes

kmathern
Developer

Re: 4.14.9 Kernel crashes

#41 Post by kmathern »

caprea wrote:What I dont understand is that synaptic ,when stretch-debian-backports is enabled shows me version 375.82 for nvidia-driver-libs

This is the right repo ?
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stretch-backports main contrib non-free
Stretch-backports probably isn't the "preferred distribution" in Synaptic. You need to go into Settings => Preferences => Distribution (tab) and tell it to prefer versions from "stretch-backports" to get the backport version to show up.

caprea

#42 Post by caprea »

Ah, thanks,
now I see 384.111
Then I dont know why dd-mx doesn't do so.

caprea

#43 Post by caprea »

dolphin_oracle wrote:wait, ddm-mx should not be installing nvidia-xconfig when installing from backports. I thought I made this change already. I'll check tonight.

nvidia-xconfig causes dependency issues. there is not backports version of that as they have deprecated making xorg.conf files with nvidia.
There is nvidia-xconfig 384.111 in backports

Stevo
Developer

#44 Post by Stevo »

It's there, yes. ddm-mx does not install it. Take a look at its description while you have Synaptic open.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#45 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:It's there, yes. ddm-mx does not install it. Take a look at its description while you have Synaptic open.

this portion of the users's ddm-mx output indicates its being installed.

Code: Select all

Frontend: 
Nvidia command  = apt-get install --reinstall -y --force-yes -t $BP nvidia-driver nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-dkms libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 nvidia-xconfig
this didn't used to be the case, as the 375 version of nvidia-xconfig was being installed with the later backports drivers, and that was causing issues. I'm not sure now that there is a debian-backportx nvidia-xconfig.

incidentally I can no longer install on the 4.9 kernel. This previously worked. however, the 375 mx hosted drivers still install ok.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#46 Post by Stevo »

Packages.debian.org says there's a backports version. Maybe one of the other packages pulls it in, but that should be a bug. Let me look at the control file. Hmmm, there's a really weird control file that's only a template.

More weirdness is that the stretch-backports version only has 64-bit. But it doesn't do anything if just installed, correct? The user has to run it.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#47 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:Packages.debian.org says there's a backports version. Maybe one of the other packages pulls it in, but that should be a bug. Let me look at the control file. Hmmm, there's a really weird control file that's only a template.

More weirdness is that the stretch-backports version only has 64-bit. But it doesn't do anything if just installed, correct? The user has to run it.
Nope. Ddm-mx uses it to create an xorg.conf file currently.

Nvidia is discontinuing 32 bit support eventually but I didn't think it was current yet. Maybe the extra 32 bit libs we install are the conflict.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#48 Post by dolphin_oracle »

yep, this is the problem package:

Code: Select all

libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
can't install that one with debian-backports enabled.

I wonder what that does to steam users, as that is one of those 32 bit compatibility things I think.

edit: actually, there is a 32 bit version of that, but I think it might be conflicting with the other recommended packages, namely this one that does come it with ddm-mx and stretch-backports ifyou remove the libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 from the ddm-mx code.

edit 2: ah, in debian stretch, nvidia-driver-libs has a depend on EITHER libgl1-nvidia-glx OR libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx

but the stretch-backports drops the OR in favor of ONLY libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx. so even though the libgl1-nvidia-glx package is available, it isn't installed and so when we try to force the installation of hte 32 bit version, conflicts arise.

caprea

#49 Post by caprea »

O.K., so for me it's not a big problem. I tried around with dd-mx and I know you can with ease run dd-mx again and choose the 375.82-9mx17+1 before reboot.
But other users, who maybe don't read the dd-mx terminal output at all ore just see finished after the 384.111 installation, will find themselves out of x after reboot.
This happens on antix17 and mx17.

There is still nvidia-driver-libs-i386 in backports for 384.111, 32 bit support will be dropped with the newest 390.12 I think.

Anyway, thanks for all, if I can help with tests, just tell.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#50 Post by dolphin_oracle »

caprea wrote:O.K., so for me it's not a big problem. I tried around with dd-mx and I know you can with ease run dd-mx again and choose the 375.82-9mx17+1 before reboot.
But other users, who maybe don't read the dd-mx terminal output at all ore just see finished after the 384.111 installation, will find themselves out of x after reboot.
This happens on antix17 and mx17.

There is still nvidia-driver-libs-i386 in backports for 384.111, 32 bit support will be dropped with the newest 390.12 I think.

Anyway, thanks for all, if I can help with tests, just tell.

I'll fix ddm-mx this weekend. I think I can just quit trying to install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 and it will work. Not sure on the impacts on the standard driver though.

Return to “antiX”