antiX-17 released

tascoast

Re: antiX-17 released

#21 Post by tascoast »

Is the root and user password combo still reversed as previously when asked for root access (eg. Synaptic, su in terminal ?)
I have previously set user password as if it were my root version, for convenience when working between other MX partitions.....

Congratulations to those working hard on our behalf! Thank you.
Mick
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

anticapitalista
Developer

#22 Post by anticapitalista »

Since antiX-15 version, we changed to using sudo (although you can change to 'real' root in the control centre) because of 'complaints' about the passwords not being saved which meant that you got the pop-up every time even within a session for the same app. So, when you are prompted by the pop-up for a password you will user your username password. (The message that pops up actually says to provide your username password and not the admin one)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

i_ri

#23 Post by i_ri »

hello anticapitalista
Have here a live antix17 running for three days. just waitin for a time when the installation can be enjoyed.
.>This comment directed to asqwerth from before the kupfer comment
.>About installing xfce application finder; do also install package exo-utils for editing application finder menu.
and at asinoro, asqwerth seemed to understand that you wanted a menu search. Otherwise in antix you made me think of menu>Applications>Internet>Search Bar when you mention Search Bar.. ((bar: just an aside: in google translate entering the word bar does not return definition of saloon nor the law bar examination for attorneys. just sharing a funny observation.))

Gordon Cooper

#24 Post by Gordon Cooper »

@ l_ri May be you did not search sufficiently in Google, I found: the whole body of barristers or lawyers qualified to practice in the courts of any jurisdiction

dreams of being admitted to the bar (3) :the profession of barrister or lawyer
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

i_ri

#25 Post by i_ri »

anticapitlista
Gordon Cooper, hi, I am wrong. g--Translate, bar, I just spotted the little button that says "8 more definitions". duh.
Looking at a rock solid antix17 here. How are y' doing Gordon Cooper.

Gordon Cooper

#26 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Should any of you living north of the equator look south and see a column of smoke, not to worry it is not the end of the earth, just me going into orbit.

Following my usual habit, I delayed a download of the new antiX for a couple of days in case there were any undiscovered bugs. I then tried to get the program. Firstly from Source Forge. Three, no four attempts to download, all stalled with a couple of seconds to finish, then timed out. Nearly an hour wasted. Next step was to try the mirrors. Antix has not appeared on our local NZ mirror. so on past experience I went to Taiwan, it is usually quite fast. Not so today, my browser estimated 4 hours, but 20 minutes later, this had increased to four and a half hours, so abandoned it and changed to LA. Success, downloaded in less than 5 minutes, I rejoiced.

Next step was to burn the iso onto a optical disk. No joy. The DVD drive that has behaved for years, refused to open and let me load a disk. Power off and a look at the drive's interior. A mechanical failure, not easily repaired. What next ? Found an external DVD drive and plugged it in to USB. Using K3b, made an iso DVD. Then, with some guidance from the Manual (thanks Jerry) found that function key F8 would allow a boot from USB. Did this and fairly quickly installed antiX on to sdb, a 320 Gb drive in the desk top. Had a pleasurable half hour looking at antiX and updated Grub to include the new system.

All good? Not at all. Installation was smooth, Grub update OK, but now on a new boot up, Grub cannot see antiX . With GParted, I checked the partitions and their labels. They appeared to be OK but an attempt to update one of the labels failed. GParted reported that the antiX installation was Read Only. The log said " e2label: Filesystem has unsupported read-only feature(s) while trying to open /dev/sdb8. Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock." An old MX14 system on this HD opens and runs well, antiX does not.

This is when I abandoned antiX for the evening. Any suggestions?
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#27 Post by rokytnji.1 »

My ISP has sucked since forever and ever.

Code: Select all

wget -c < insert iso link here >
is my best buddy when downloading a iso. Always has been. Always will be. I can't speak for windows users though and browser addons.

KISS is how I roll. I'd start over if I was you Gordon.

Edit: Why may you think? Because a lot variables in your post and with a good do over. With a md5sum checked iso. Which I also do.
Solves a ton of issues for me as a tester for the team.

Gordon Cooper

#28 Post by Gordon Cooper »

All fixed now but cause of problem not defined. Re-installed AntIx but still no sign of it in Grub. Used the Boot-repair tool to Rebuild the Grub list and Antix is now
there and boots up without any problem. Will use it for a day or two before looking for the original fault.

tascoast

#29 Post by tascoast »

I did add uGet for this particular one, being on middling wifi and a large direct download that dropped out on initial FF attempts.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

massimo

#30 Post by massimo »

Ho voluto provare questa distro. E' molto interessante, però non sono riuscito a spostare le icone del browser, del terminale, di gestione foto nel pannello. Ho provato anche ad installare docks e mi sembrava di poter effettuare lo spostamento, ma al riavvio tutto tornava come prima. Mi sono fermato. Vorrei sapere solo come far apparire le icone di alcune applicazioni, poche, sul pannello inferiore, per avviarle da lì. Siccome non sono tanto esperto, fornitemi, se possibile, istruzioni chiare, passo passo

Return to “antiX”