antiX-16 released

BitJam
Developer

Re: antiX-16 released

#31 Post by BitJam »

Ray, if you prefer a GUI then I suggest you try using the meta-installer to install xfce4. It is a GUI app you can get to from the "System Tools" section of the application menus or in the "System" tab of the Control Centre. Open up the "Window Managers" section, check the box next to "xfce4", then press the <install> button.

If you prefer using the command line then you should first run "sudo apt-get update" if you haven't done that already. The GUI app does this for you.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Ray1935

#32 Post by Ray1935 »

Thanks for the info, I have now installed Xfce4 and started my mods to make it more my style, installed Palemoon, tried to install Cairo Dock but came up with 'Fix Broken Packages' tried to fix that but came up with these messages:

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

Not sure how this is fixed??

What is the best method to change the desktop icon them, I just hate the Text Boxes on the desktop, I'm too old I suppose but they look anything but elegant on a desktop. Other than that it's pretty slick, good work guys.

Ray

Gordon Cooper

#33 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Broken packages seem to affect all of us at some time or other. Suggest you open Synaptic Package manager, Click Help then select "Manage packages" and in the next pop-up menu, "Fix Broken Packages".
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

skidoo

#34 Post by skidoo »

Had a feeling I could but decided against it on the probability that I'd bugger it up
oops, when I read you had successfully wrangled VMware, I assumed you were a seasoned user.
FYI, no broken packages resulted when I last performed a test install of XFCE into antix16. Ima guessin' it's related to PaleMoon. Are they building for gtk2, or 3 nowadays?

If this is a fresh install, instead of swimming against the current... unless you think it's fun, or you need the exercise, maybe you're better served by starting with MX (vs antix) as the base.
What is the best method to change the desktop icon them, I just hate the Text Boxes on the desktop
Yeah, me too. Easiest way I've found hide those buggers is to use a Sharpie marker. Covers 'em right up. :wink:

BitJam
Developer

#35 Post by BitJam »

I was able to replicate the problem of not being able to install cairo-dock on antiX-15 after installing xfce4 via the meta-installer. Same error messages. I was able to install cairo-dock on MX-15.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Ray1935

#36 Post by Ray1935 »

BitJam wrote:I was able to replicate the problem of not being able to install cairo-dock on antiX-15 after installing xfce4 via the meta-installer. Same error messages. I was able to install cairo-dock on MX-15.
Yes that was the path that I took to install xfce so presumably there is something amiss with the installer. I've had cairo-dock installed in my MX-15 system since I installed it shortly after it's release. Thanks for that info.

Ray

v3g4n

#37 Post by v3g4n »

What's the output of

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -f

Stevo
Developer

#38 Post by Stevo »

"Text boxes" are going to provide more information than the rather unhelpful Synaptic. You could also try aptitude:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude why-not cairo-dock

Ray1935

#39 Post by Ray1935 »

skidoo wrote:
Had a feeling I could but decided against it on the probability that I'd bugger it up
oops, when I read you had successfully wrangled VMware, I assumed you were a seasoned user.
FYI, no broken packages resulted when I last performed a test install of XFCE into antix16. Ima guessin' it's related to PaleMoon. Are they building for gtk2, or 3 nowadays?

If this is a fresh install, instead of swimming against the current... unless you think it's fun, or you need the exercise, maybe you're better served by starting with MX (vs antix) as the base.
What is the best method to change the desktop icon them, I just hate the Text Boxes on the desktop
Yeah, me too. Easiest way I've found hide those buggers is to use a Sharpie marker. Covers 'em right up. :wink:

I think I misstated what I meant when I wrote "I just hate the Text Boxes", what I really meant was I hate the boxes surrounding the text, still need the text
Ray

skidoo

#40 Post by skidoo »

Aha. Well, in that case, no problemo -- still easily fixable

Are your eyes are bigger than your britches?
please smile.

Return to “antiX”