antiX-14R-alpha2 available

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: antiX-14R-alpha2 available

#11 Post by anticapitalista »

BitJam wrote:La revolución!
No, but good idea!

It actually stands for ... rolling as in rolling release.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

ko

#12 Post by ko »

antiX 14R alpha2 installed nicely (using btrfs this time) into a spare partition on my aging laptop.

1. After installing the livecd I did eject the CD and I closed the CD-tray, pressed return --- and nothing.
I had to do a hard reset (using the on/off button).
After hitting the restart button and selecting antiX from the boot menu option antiX-14R was brought up.

2. Synaptic is installed, but is not available in the menu (it is in the Control Center)...

PS: bringing antiX-14R as released (June 30, 2014 status) up to date (Aug. 19, 2014 status) using synaptic went without a hitch.

Nice job...
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

jenom

#13 Post by jenom »

installed on a 1GB USB and booted from there on a Lenovo T61
liked the options in grub menu to setup a local system: timezone, language, etc....
instead of FRUGAL, I would have used Hard drive install
needed to select VESA for video, otherwise desktop screen remained dark, somet video detection is not right there !
detected nicely intel wifi card and WICD connected fine too my home network
Iceweasel is good choice for a browser, Firefox or Chromium is too bloated
How about adding Icedove as a default email program ?
Sound was Ok, also played videos from YouTube fine.
ICEWM is fast, but for a final release, it needs to be replaced with MATE (or at least XFCE4)
since this an early alpha release , the full Libre Office should be the absolutely the last final thing to be added
there were many useful tools installed , from backup to remaster
Keep up a good work, looking forward to a next release.
Thanks!

megatotoro

#14 Post by megatotoro »

I installed it and applied the available upgrades. So far, everything seems to work.

BTW, where did the Kampai wallpaper come from? I'm not exactly a dog person, but I liked that picture so much that I set it as my wallpaper.

BitJam
Developer

AntiX + XFCE4 = MX

#15 Post by BitJam »

Why do you think IceWM should be replaced? In addition to IceWM, antiX Full comes with FluxBox and JWM and wmii. Have you tried those too?

If you don't like any of those and you want a good mid-weight disto with many of the special antiX features and an XFCE4 desktop, I highly recommend you try MX-14.2 Symbiosis. It's a combined effort by the Mepis devs and the antiX devs.

If you also want Mate, it is just a couple of clicks away using the MX-Package-Installer. It might also be available on antiX with a similar tool.

BitJam
Developer

#16 Post by BitJam »

megatotoro wrote:BTW, where did the Kampai wallpaper come from? I'm not exactly a dog person, but I liked that picture so much that I set it as my wallpaper.
That was my dog. She already had the Japanese name when I got her. She passed away the Tuesday before Easter in 2013. Anticapitalista included her picture as a wallpaper in antiX-13 as a memorial.

jenom

antiX-14R-alpha2

#17 Post by jenom »

--Since you have asked my opinion: ICEWM is a 17 old Windows manager, although it is small and fast, it has no place in a cutting edge, based on latest debian "testing" 2014 linux distro. The others are even worse. (functionality + look)

--Yes, I am familiar with MX-14.2, already tried it out,that is how I found 14R-alpha 2,
I thought this 14R-alpha2 supposed to be a continuation of that distro, a development version.

--I saw MATE and XFCE4 in a repo, but I think it would take lot more than a couple of clicks to actually make them work.
Did anyone managed to install successfully a new desktop manager, like XFCE4, LXDE, or MATE ?

richb
Administrator

Re: antiX-14R-alpha2

#18 Post by richb »

jenom wrote:--Since you have asked my opinion: ICEWM is a 17 old Windows manager, although it is small and fast, it has no place in a cutting edge, based on latest debian "testing" 2014 linux distro. The others are even worse. (functionality + look)

--Yes, I am familiar with MX-14.2, already tried it out,that is how I found 14R-alpha 2,
I thought this 14R-alpha2 supposed to be a continuation of that distro, a development version.

--I saw MATE and XFCE4 in a repo, but I think it would take lot more than a couple of clicks to actually make them work.
Did anyone managed to install successfully a new desktop manager, like XFCE4, LXDE, or MATE ?
MX14-2 is not a development release of antiX. It is a separate system. It uses XFCE 4.10.2 and is in a full release state, not an alpha. Check this web site for full details.

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

jenom

#19 Post by jenom »

now I understand
antiX-14R-alpha2 is not related to MX-14.2
I guess, the "14" got me confused
thanks

jdmeaux1952

#20 Post by jdmeaux1952 »

We all sometimes try to compare Apple and Oranges.
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

Return to “antiX”