antiX "GUI" updater

PPC

Re: antiX "GUI" updater

#11 Post by PPC »

rokytnji.1 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:59 am Thanks. I'll try this on my autistic grandsons Laptop. Next time I visit.

Edit> I have coached and wrote on paper for him and his mom basic commands and am phone support.
Just adding another tool for his laptop is not a bad idea . :fox:
Please let me know if the script was usefull in your grandson's laptop, Also, changing the line "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade " to "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y" removes the need to press "y" to start the upgrade process, making it even simpler, that may be handy... I do like to confirm stuff for myself, so my script does not automate the pressing "y" for me. Note that while upgrading "virtualbox-guest-utils" and jwm and fluxbox configurations, etc, even with the "-y" option apt still asks what to do (enter for the default option)...

P.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#12 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Naw. I am to far away for the -y --force -y option for him.

KISS rules his laptop. But there is a limit on his skills still.

Usually. For GUI updates for him.

Open synaptic
Reload
Apply all updates to all packages
Watch the little terminal box below for y or no questions on config files.

He understands that and the terminal window is a plus for me on the phone.

I also coached him on

Code: Select all

su
Password or go ahead and use the root terminal in the menu . He knows about that also.

Edit: Left out this as root in terminal he knows to do

Code: Select all

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
AptiX-Cli. I gotta be next to him still or on the phone.
End Edit.

I told him root is the base of tree and if he poisons it by trying to play in root area and make a mistake. It dies. I explained linux file systems like rooms in a house. Some doors mommy and daddy only allowed.

Showed how to drag and drop backups using 2 rox filers and copy files before playing with files in /home and what a backup means.

It takes baby steps to keep emotional frustration on a even keel. I'm 6 foot 7 inches and 26o LBs.
My grandson is a big boy because of this.

PPC

#13 Post by PPC »

Hi everyone!

Raising this thread from it's "grave" (Halloween time pun) I have some "news" for antiX 19 users; it comes, now, in fact with 2 GUI (or partly GUI) ways to update, and upgrade your fancy new OS:
1- Using Mx updater- it gets installed over at; Menu - Applications - Accessories - Mx updater - BUT... it's not working for now. If you are in a rush, you can do the procedure indicated by Skiddo over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic ... post-28245
2- YAD-updater- a very different take on my original idea for a "gui" updater- you can run it using- Menu - Run - and entering: yad-updater
This was modified a bit the development team from my original version - but the main point is still there- minimize user interaction with the cli- a window pops up to enter the password- a console window pops open and shows the update process, then the user has to type y/n in that console window - but a window pops up warning when the procedure is done. Click Ok, and the console is closed. I call this "partly gui", and I believe this will be less susceptible to "scare" newbies not used to the terminal than (god forbid) typing away at the terminal! Nothing more to type other than y or n... How hard can that be?
You can, off course, add a icon for this script to the desktop, the menu or the toolbar- to make the update/upgrade process even more convenient...

The classic fully GUI way to update/upgrade, is, of course, still Synaptic...

P.

Return to “antiX”