-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Win10 on VirtualBox

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Win10 on VirtualBox

#1 Post by joany » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:08 pm

I former work colleague of mine who's a Windows aficionado suggested I give Windows 10 a try. "It's free!," he said. I told him that I have no interest in putting anything Windows-related on my computer, "free" or otherwise, but that I'd give it a go as a virtual machine. I downloaded the "free" 32-bit version iso file from Microsoft's download center and burned a DVD from it.

I created a VirtualBox .vdi file and allocated 2GB of RAM and 32GB of dynamic storage to it. I booted the VM from the DVD, and the installer asked me for my Microsoft product key, which of course I didn't have because this was supposedly a "free" download. I noticed there was a "Skip" button, so I clicked it and the installation went ahead without a product key. (That's a first for Microsoft.) After about 15 minutes, the installer finished copying files to the virtual HDD, and now the machine was ready to reboot. I removed the installation DVD, and rebooted.

After a minute or so, a message appeared on the screen that devices were getting "ready" and displayed a progress status. After 100% of the devices (whatever they are) were ready, a message appeared at the bottom of the screen that simply said "Getting Ready" with a clock-like thingy spinning around. There it sat "Getting Ready" for what seemed like an indeterminable time. I checked the CPU usage on the host machine, and noticed that my two CPUs were taking turns being pegged at 100%. After 30 minutes of "Getting Ready" with the CPUs taking turns being maxed out, I gave up on booting Windows 10 and shut down the virtual machine.

Has anyone successfully installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox and managed to get past "Getting Ready" state to a log-in screen? If so, please share the secret of how you did it.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Win10 on VirtualBox

#2 Post by uncle mark » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:39 pm

I don't know if this has any bearing on your situation, but W10 is only a free upgrade from W7 or W8. You can't do a fresh clean install without a license.

I've not yet done it, but will be experimenting soon with my playtoy laptop. It has a legit/licensed version of W7; I will slap in a spare drive, do a clean install of W7, activate it, and then will do the W10 upgrade from the ISO.

I'm told the Skip button for the license code can only be used when doing a REinstall of W10 on a machine that has already had an install/upgrade done on it and been successfully activated. In that situation, W10 will phone home, check the hashes from that particular hardware set against their database, and (supposedly) activate automagically.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by joany » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:54 pm

uncle mark wrote:I don't know if this has any bearing on your situation, but W10 is only a free upgrade from W7 or W8. You can't do a fresh clean install without a license.

I've not yet done it, but will be experimenting soon with my playtoy laptop. It has a legit/licensed version of W7; I will slap in a spare drive, do a clean install of W7, activate it, and then will do the W10 upgrade from the ISO.

I'm told the Skip button for the license code can only be used when doing a REinstall of W10 on a machine that has already had an install/upgrade done on it and been successfully activated. In that situation, W10 will phone home, check the hashes from that particular hardware set against their database, and (supposedly) activate automagically.
Well, I guess that explains it!

It was pretty confusing, though. The installer gave me two options. As you noted, the first option was to upgrade an existing Win7 or Win8 installation. The second option appeared to be for doing a clean install, because it scanned the virtual HDD and displayed an unallocated partition that Win10 could be installed on. If a clean install isn't possible without a product key, why would the installer proceed to the next step and all the way to the reboot stage?
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

chippy52
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by chippy52 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:15 pm

UM not correct. W10 is / was available as a technical preview version. I have a copy which is running in Vbox. Unfortunately I forgot my password. You may want to check the amount of memory you allocated. I have mine set at 3300.
MX15-x64_KDE_added_June_2016
Intel i5 2400, Asus P8H67-M-EVO, G-Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1333, nVidia GeForce GT430, Seagate 500GB sata3 HDD

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:40 pm

joany wrote:
uncle mark wrote:I don't know if this has any bearing on your situation, but W10 is only a free upgrade from W7 or W8. You can't do a fresh clean install without a license.

Well, I guess that explains it!

It was pretty confusing, though. The installer gave me two options. As you noted, the first option was to upgrade an existing Win7 or Win8 installation. The second option appeared to be for doing a clean install, because it scanned the virtual HDD and displayed an unallocated partition that Win10 could be installed on. If a clean install isn't possible without a product key, why would the installer proceed to the next step and all the way to the reboot stage?
supposedly the product key would not be necessary on future clean installs, after the first, at least with the upgrade media.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by megatotoro » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:01 pm

If I understand the situation correctly, technical previews are meant to expire once a newer version (or the final one) is released. At least that's what happened to the W10 TP that I installed on VB several months ago.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by joany » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:03 pm

chippy52 wrote:UM not correct. W10 is / was available as a technical preview version. I have a copy which is running in Vbox. Unfortunately I forgot my password. You may want to check the amount of memory you allocated. I have mine set at 3300.
I revisited the web site where I downloaded the iso file, and it does say it's an upgrade. But it also says the purpose of the .iso file was to install Win10 on multiple machines and the .iso is only being offered till the end of July '15, which led me to believe it was not an upgrade. At this point, I'm not sure whether this thing is an upgrade or not. I seem to remember there was a trial version of Win7 that was only good for a limited time; the installation self destructed after a certain date, like Cinderella's carriage turning into a pumpkin at midnight. Maybe that's what this version is.

The part that I don't understand is why the installer goes all the way to end using nothing but a clean, unallocated partition. I would think that if this were an "upgrade only" it would have thrown up some kind of warning message saying, "Hey dummy, you can't install this that way." Do you remember doing anything special to install it on VB?

Unfortunately, 2GB is about as much as I can allocate to a VM because my motherboard is maxed out at 4GB installed RAM. According to Microsoft, the 32-bit version of Win10 is supposed to run on as little as 1GB of RAM, although I think that's a real stretch.
megatotoro wrote: If I understand the situation correctly, technical previews are meant to expire once a newer version (or the final one) is released. At least that's what happened to the W10 TP that I installed on VB several months ago.
Yes, that sounds familiar. Maybe that's why the .iso is only offered through July.

I think I'll tell my friend that messing around with Win10 is just too much trouble. (He knows I'm a Linux user, so he'll understand.) :linuxlove:
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by uncle mark » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
uncle mark wrote:I'm told the Skip button for the license code can only be used when doing a REinstall of W10 on a machine that has already had an install/upgrade done on it and been successfully activated. In that situation, W10 will phone home, check the hashes from that particular hardware set against their database, and (supposedly) activate automagically.
supposedly the product key would not be necessary on future clean installs, after the first, at least with the upgrade media.
That's my understanding. Once you use the install/upgrade media to do the upgrade once on qualified and properly licensed hardware, then get it (the W10 install) activated, you should be able to do subsequent clean reinstalls on the same hardware without a key code. Activation is (supposedly) handled automagically when W10 phones home.

There's a guy on the GRC nntp server that's been posting all afternoon as he has been going through this, with links to the appropriate MSFT information sites. That's where I'm getting my information. Here's one excerpt:

Code: Select all

Once you make your DVD from the ISO, your options are:
-to upgrade an existing Win7/8.1, stick the DVD in the drive while Windows is running.  It should auto-run, but if not, then run setup.exe to start the upgrade process.
-to clean install (will not work prior to upgrading as per above), boot from the install DVD.  You will need to put a valid license key in--and no, the key from your Win7 COA won't work.

So if you want a clean install, first do the upgrade.  Once you have upgraded and activated Windows 10, then you can boot from the DVD and do a clean install.  When you get to the license key page, click the Skip button.  Your computer will automatically activate online *as long as the same edition of Win10 was activated on the same PC using the free upgrade offer. 

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by uncle mark » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:45 pm

chippy52 wrote:UM not correct. W10 is / was available as a technical preview version. I have a copy which is running in Vbox. Unfortunately I forgot my password. You may want to check the amount of memory you allocated. I have mine set at 3300.
It's possible that those who joined the Windows Insiders program and are running the latest Technical Preview might be able to upgrade to the release version, but I'm not sure. Regardless, that's not Joany's situation.

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by rokytnji.1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Never mind.
Last edited by rokytnji.1 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “VMs/Emulators”