Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

VirtualBox Question

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

VirtualBox Question

#1 Postby Topher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:03 pm

I just installed virtualbox and have added four distros to look at, play with and just try different things. I noticed that the desktop window sizes varied from small to big and one was even variable (it expanded as I dragged the lower right corner). In googling this issue I see that some people said the vb-guest-dkms, vb-guest-utils & vb-guest-x11 needed to be added. I didn't see these in our repository (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ wheezy contrib - is enabled). And I didn't see these in the Oracle site either. Do I need these guest additions, do I need to do something else or is it a function of the installed OS?
MX15 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: VirtualBox Question

#2 Postby joany » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:34 pm

I only have Guest Additions and the Extension Pack installed. Guest window sizes tend to be somewhat problematic for me as well, but they seem to sort themselves out eventually with a lot of fiddling around. Don't expect the guest OS window to fill the VB window until the guest OS is finished booting. You'll find some options under "View" in the VB menu bar. The "Auto-resize Guest Display" option works sometimes. It usually takes a some trial and error and rebooting the OS before the window snaps into the proper size.

I've never heard of vb-guest-dkms, but you're supposed to have dkms installed before installing Guest Additions. Are you sure those other "packages" aren't simply parts of Guest Additions?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby Stevo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Those packages would be part of the open-source version of VB in some other distro's repositories. The Debian version of the packages begin with virtualbox, and have 4.3.18 currently in wheezy-backports.

For the Oracle version, you'll have to build the guest addition modules on the guest manually. One of the distros seems to ship with those modules already, as they are needed for the window to "autosize". It would be nice if MX 15 shipped with the modules, too.

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby Topher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:48 pm

You'll find some options under "View" in the VB menu bar.
The options work great. Thanks for the tip.
Boy have I been missing out by not using VB. No more installing to other partitions then having to reboot to try new things out. New toys to play with! :happy:
MX15 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby joany » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:53 pm

@Stevo

I installed VirtualBox from the "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ wheezy contrib" repository and the vb-guest-dkms, vb-guest-utils & vb-guest-x11 packages are included, but I don't have them installed. Should I?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Return to “VMs/Emulators”