Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Where is Wine?

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Where is Wine?

#1 Postby mmikeinsantarosa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 pm

I wanted to try installing a program in wine but it's not in the menus and if I select wine in Synaptic I get indications of busted references for other packages that have "wine" in their names, like libwine & libwine-bin.

how do I install Wine on MX14?

thanks
mike
LT: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 4.12.0-8.3-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
DT: Intel(R) Core i5-3.1GHz Kernel~3.9-1-mepis64 x86_64

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Where is Wine?

#2 Postby joany » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Concerning libwine and libwine-bin: Synaptic shows libwine as one of the packages that "conflicts" with wine, so that might be part of your problem. Neither of those packages is installed on my system and wine is running properly for me, so I'd remove both of them.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling every package having "wine" in its name and re-install wine again. That should fix the problem.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby dolphin_oracle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 pm

i think wine is also in the mx-package-installer.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Postby mmikeinsantarosa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 pm

thanks you 2. I now have wine installed. It's hard for me to tell what to install sometimes. Seems like lots of wine-things in synaptic.

What's the best way to tell if a similarly named package is related, required, conflicts or not?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby Stevo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:17 pm

It's probably due to the older Wine in Debian, which is made up of many wine and libwine packages, and our newer custom Wine builds, which put the whole runtime into one package instead. Installing netflix-desktop will automatically pull in our newer and more capable custom version of Wine.

What's the best way to tell if a similarly named package is related, required, conflicts or not?

Usually installing the newest version will handle these things automatically. If it doesn't, let the packager know, and we can try and figure out how to get the dependencies set so they work correctly.

There's also ways to install an older version, if that's what you need.
Last edited by Stevo on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby uncle mark » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 pm

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:thanks you 2. I now have wine installed. It's hard for me to tell what to install sometimes. Seems like lots of wine-things in synaptic.

In general, if you know the name of the main package -- in this case 'wine" -- then all you have to do is install it with Synaptic and it will pull in all the dependencies. I also almost always let it pull in all the suggested and recommended packages as well.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby joany » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 am

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:thanks you 2. I now have wine installed. It's hard for me to tell what to install sometimes. Seems like lots of wine-things in synaptic.

If you highlight the package in Synaptic and select the "Dependencies" tab, it'll show you the dependencies, the "recommended" packages, and also which packages it conflicts with.

Actually, I'm surprised that Synaptic didn't warn you of the conflicts prior to installing wine or that it didn't remove the conflicting packages for you. But I'm glad you sorted it out.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Postby mmikeinsantarosa » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Code: Select all

Installing netflix-desktop will automatically pull in our newer and more capable custom version of Wine

boy, no kidding; my wine now supports clear to win 8!

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Postby mmikeinsantarosa » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm

<Joany>
Actually, I'm surprised that Synaptic didn't warn you of the conflicts prior to installing wine

I'm still getting a feel for what synaptic is telling me. When I select a package to install and other rows "light up" RED or GREEN, I don't understand if it's OK or not. I hozed virtualbox by having pieces of other versions installed even after installing a much newer version from vb.org.

I suppose the packages are either all inclusive, where one check will also checkthe other necessary supporting packages or one has to know to select a prescried list of packages to get "everything".

Are the repositories documented in any way so I could say, I want to instakk MonoDevelop and then peruse the repository index to determine what other packages I should also mark for installation? Everytime I do this on my own, I end up with RED indicators leading me to believe I may break something if i continue although this little MX14 seems to be built of steel ;)

I don't know how many times I look in synaptic and see something asn thing, I'd like to try that out, so I check it and the whole page turns RED.

thanks again for the guidance.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby lucky9 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 am

Check the Synaptic Preferences in the Menu it's under Settings/Preferences/Colors. It will explain what the colors mean and also allow changing them if you wish.

I always check the various Menu items in a program just to see if anything makes it more usable. Honest, it won't break.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “VMs/Emulators”