Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

AV on a VM

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: AV on a VM

#11 Postby Danum » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 am

Gordon Cooper wrote:Thanks to all for an interesting thread. I run XP (and refuse to upgrade) on an old Toshiba
so I can attempt to answer questions on a group (using some MS software) that I moderate. The
Toshiba (and me) have battled on for several years without any virus protection and I had
been thinking about MS Essentials.

Joany, molasses runs quicker if you heat it - much more of the same treament seems suitable for MSE.

A lot has been made of the fact that M$ no longer support XP, when in fact they do and will continue to do so until 2019.
by tricking your home edition of XP into thinking its Windows Embedded POSReady means you get updates for the next five years.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... istry-hack
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Postby joany » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:42 am

uncle mark wrote:The installer won't run. Detects XP, quits and says the OS is not spported.

So Microsoft wants people to buy Win8 so badly that they invested additional time and money to alter software that worked on WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8 just to make sure it would no longer install on WinXP? I guess that's their new version of backward compatibility. :rolleyes:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby lucky9 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:46 pm

It's called a 'revenue stream'.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “VMs/Emulators”