-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

VirtualBox 4.3.10 Guest Additions Installer

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: VirtualBox 4.3.10 Guest Additions Installer

#11 Post by Gaer Boy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:41 am

joany wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant what is the path of the .iso in the host OS? Is yours /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso or is it some other path? I want to compare my path to yours since your setup is working and mine isn't.
Mine is /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso so there shouldn't be a difference there.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:44 am

It is in /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. Same as yours.
This is what I get when I insert the GuestAdditions iso. But I right click on drive and choose open autoplay to get this. I am using a Win7 Guest.

Enabling the check box will probably open it without intervention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by joany » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:51 am

richb wrote:It is in /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. Same as yours.
This is what I get when I insert the GuestAdditions iso. But I right click on drive and choose open autoplay to get this. I am using a Win7 Guest.

Enabling the check box will probably open it without intervention.
Thanks, richb.

I think I figured it out. If the CD is already mounted in the Windows guest, then "Devices>Insert Guest Additions CD image ..." doesn't do anything. However, if I eject the CD in the Windows guest, and then click on "Devices>Insert Guest Additions CD image ...", the CD is mounted and the installer executes.

This behavior is a little different than the older versions of VirtualBox, which required mounting the .iso beforehand in the Storage settings. In those versions, selecting "Devices>Install Guest Additions" would start the installer with the CD already mounted.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:56 am

Good you got it sorted. When we get used to doing something one way and changes are made, it sometimes is difficult to run them down. My first reaction is an error on my part or something the system mucked up.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “VMs/Emulators”