-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

No kernal driver in vbox

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
th1bill
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

No kernal driver in vbox

#1 Post by th1bill » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:34 am

I have just installed Mepis 8.0.15 and on installing vbox from Synaptic it gave me a fit about the kernal driver but now I am lost. I click vbox and receive the following message.
Could not load the settings file '/home/th1bill/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml'.
Cannot convert settings from version '1.10-linux'.
The source version is not supported.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
VirtualBox
Interface:
IVirtualBox {557a07bc-e6ae-4520-a361-4a8493199137}
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#2 Post by DBeckett » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:31 am

Two things (well, three really):
  • The vbox version in the repos does not have USB support. You'd be better advised to download and use the version from:
  • http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads.
  • Before you do that, you will want to uninstall your current vbox from Synaptic.
  • You will also need to install the linux headers, so while you're in Synaptic, go find and install linux-headers-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp. That should take care of your kernel errors.
Then try again. If you still have problems, don't hesitate to come back here.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by joany » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:33 am

Hello th1bill, and :welcome:

On a fresh installation of SM 8.5, you need to first install your kernel headers before you can install VirtualBox. You also need to install other essential packages, which do not come "pre-installed" from the Live CD. The easiest way to do all of these things is to open a terminal and enter these commands:

Code: Select all

su
<root password>
m-a update
m-a prepare
After these scripts finish executing, then you can install VirtualBox.

Good luck!
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by chrispop99 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:25 am

For completeness, you might want to view the docs here:

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/VirtualBox

Chris

th1bill
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by th1bill » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:05 pm

I tried and did everything suggested and below is the output when I try to start the Win 2K virtual machine and open the terminal, go to su and execute /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup.
root@mepis1:/home/th1bill# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module * done.
* Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module
* Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong
root@mepis1:/home/th1bill#

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:34 pm

root@mepis1:/home/th1bill# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module * done.
* Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module
* Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong
root@mepis1:/home/th1bill#
And what's in /var/log/vbox-install.log?
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by kmathern » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:48 pm

In addition to posting that /var/log/vbox-install.log, it would help to know what version of virtualbox you are trying to install.

There are several "virtualbox" packages. For instance if you have enabled the download.virtualbox.org repo you will find seven "virtualbox" packages in Synaptic (virtualbox, virtualbox-2.0, virtualbox-2.1, virtualbox-2.2, virtualbox-3.0, virtualbox-3.1, virtualbox-3.2). The latest "virtualbox" is the virtualbox-3.2 package.

If you've tried to install the earliest virtualbox (the package named just plain "virtualbox"), the kernel module may fail to build because Mepis 8.0's 2.6.27 kernel might not be supported. I know this is the case when trying to install the "virtualbox" package in Mepis 8.5 and it's 2.6.32 kernel, the kernel module fails to build. With the "virtualbox-3.2" package, the kernel module builds just fine. I have a similar result in Mepis 8.5 with the Debian Lenny virtualbox-ose package.

th1bill
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by th1bill » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:39 pm

The log file is below.
Makefile:159: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
The virtualbox is 3.2.6 Lenny. And thanks for the help and patients. I've been using Ubuntu for about two years but I have RRMS and while servicing my primary unit my hand let go and killed it. The unit I'm on is over 10 years old and the U-10.04 would not install but Simply Mepis did and I'm beginning to like the OS.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by kmathern » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:45 pm

th1bill wrote:The log file is below.
Makefile:159: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
The virtualbox is 3.2.6 Lenny. And thanks for the help and patients. I've been using Ubuntu for about two years but I have RRMS and while servicing my primary unit my hand let go and killed it. The unit I'm on is over 10 years old and the U-10.04 would not install but Simply Mepis did and I'm beginning to like the OS.
It doesn't look like your kernel headers are installed, did you run the m-a prepare command that Joany suggested a few posts back?

If not, run the command below (even if you think you did install the headers earlier I would run it again)
su -c 'm-a prepare'

th1bill
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by th1bill » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:51 pm

You folks have been very kind and everything is ok in Bill's house. Mama even let me order a new mainboard, processor, fan and power supply to upgrade my old dual core that I dropped... Thanks a million gents!

Return to “VMs/Emulators”