Changing Account Settings

Forum is Read only retaining history. Help goes in Help Forums. Your tips on how to do something go in Tips and Tricks. Forum help in Site Help.
Gordon Cooper

Changing Account Settings

#1 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I have tried unsuccessfully to alter my User Name. Logged into Profile and followed the prescribed steps
including entry of password. Several attempts with variations on the sequence, but I can not even
access the User Name line to make a change. Left and right Clicks, highlight and Backspace or Delete
all do absolutely nothing. I am missing something, but what?

Gordon.

lucky9

Re: Changing Account Settings

#2 Post by lucky9 »

PM one of the Administrators. I'm not sure it can be done. There are several here who have (for one reason or another) signed up as another User.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

Gordon Cooper wrote:I have tried unsuccessfully to alter my User Name. Logged into Profile and followed the prescribed steps
including entry of password. Several attempts with variations on the sequence, but I can not even
access the User Name line to make a change. Left and right Clicks, highlight and Backspace or Delete
all do absolutely nothing. I am missing something, but what?

Gordon.
Username changes are not allowed.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Gordon Cooper

#4 Post by Gordon Cooper »

richb wrote: Username changes are not allowed.
That's odd. The Text in the User Control Panel Reads "Current password: You must enter your current password if you wish to alter your email address or username." To me, it means that User Name can be changed.

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Nevertheless the ability to change username has not been activated. The panel apparently is a generic instruction to cover the case where the admins do activate that feature. It is a default setting for the Forum. Frankly I haven't thought about the pros and cons of allowing username changes and we just left it at the default.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

jdmeaux1952

#6 Post by jdmeaux1952 »

richb wrote:Nevertheless the ability to change username has not been activated. The panel apparently is a generic instruction to cover the case where the admins do activate that feature. It is a default setting for the Forum. Frankly I haven't thought about the pros and cons of allowing username changes and we just left it at the default.
CON - If someone knows the Username and Password, they could go ahead and change both to lock you out of your own computer. (Yes, some of us still use the same PW on our computer desktop as elsewhere.)
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

joany

#7 Post by joany »

jdmeaux1952 wrote: CON - If someone knows the Username and Password, they could go ahead and change both to lock you out of your own computer. (Yes, some of us still use the same PW on our computer desktop as elsewhere.)
A password is only good if you use an encrypted HDD. Without that, anyone who has physical access to your computer and a Live CD can access your HDD without knowing your password.

Concerning this forum, for a user/password to be an effective "2 step verification," both of them have to be kept secret. But your forum user name isn't a secret, so your password is all anyone needs to know to get into your account. I don't really see any harm in letting people change their user names if they choose. If they want to really change their identities (and start over without any forum "history") they can already do that.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Gordon Cooper

#8 Post by Gordon Cooper »

richb wrote:Nevertheless the ability to change username has not been activated. The panel apparently is a generic instruction to cover the case where the admins do activate that feature. It is a default setting for the Forum. Frankly I haven't thought about the pros and cons of allowing username changes and we just left it at the default.
Users like myself would expect a generic instruction to relate to the default, any variation from that should be noted in the panel.

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

Gordon Cooper wrote:
Users like myself would expect a generic instruction to relate to the default, any variation from that should be noted in the panel.
phBB issue. We have no control over that. I suggest you comment on their website.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Gordon Cooper

#10 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Thanks Rich, I'm not going to prolong this discussion, although as one who spent
most of his working life training others, I prefer to have any written instructions
matching what actually happens. An interesting side issue is that there is nothing
in the Profile settings for someone to simply leave the Forum.

Return to “Forum How-to's”