Post a message with a leading slash

Forum is Read only retaining history. Help goes in Help Forums. Your tips on how to do something go in Tips and Tricks. Forum help in Site Help.
GoManutd

Re: Post a message with a standalone or leading slash

#11 Post by GoManutd »

bit scary if you're getting a method not implemented for posting something with a slash...

seems like it's trying to execute some sort of macro.

of course, many web based apps that handle user input will prevent slashes and other evil sql characters, or will require that they be properly escaped to prevent sql injection attacks.

don't see this as an issue, rather a security feature

m_pav
Developer

#12 Post by m_pav »

It doesn't accept leading forward slashes when they're wrapped up in code tags either and this forum rejects regular text files too.

Mike P

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb »

m_pav wrote:It doesn't accept leading forward slashes when they're wrapped up in code tags either and this forum rejects regular text files too.

Mike P
/etc/boot

It accepts slashes with code tags. Do you mean text files as attachments?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

m_pav
Developer

#14 Post by m_pav »

Yes to the text files as attachments, it refuses them and actual code tags as in pasted code, not formatting code tags.

Code: Select all

[b]/[/b]etc/X11/xorg.conf
In the above example, the path to xorg.conf is wrapped in code tags, but that brings up the error, so I had to add formatting tags within the code tags for it to work, but the result is sloppy. The issue does not stop with that either. I tried all manner of things like the top left key on a US keyboard, which worked as a carriage return, yet allowed the forward slash
`/etc, so my thoughts are leading towards this forums back end trying to interpret / as bbcode outside of the [] square brackets

The following seems to support my theory, as hijack is not bbcode, yet it is accepted.
[hijack]
What would be nice is to see a list of permitted attachments and size limitations when adding an attachment
[/hijack]

Mike P

richb
Administrator

#15 Post by richb »

m_pav wrote:Yes to the text files as attachments, it refuses them and actual code tags as in pasted code, not formatting code tags.

[b]/[/b]etc/X11/xorg.conf
In the above example, the path to xorg.conf is wrapped in code tags, but that brings up the error, so I had to add formatting tags within the code tags for it to work, but the result is sloppy. The issue does not stop with that either. I tried all manner of things like the top left key on a US keyboard, which worked as a carriage return, yet allowed the forward slash
`/etc, so my thoughts are leading towards this forums back end trying to interpret / as bbcode outside of the [] square brackets

The following seems to support my theory, as hijack is not bbcode, yet it is accepted.
[hijack]
What would be nice is to see a list of permitted attachments and size limitations when adding an attachment
[/hijack]

Mike P
I have enabled text file attachments.
I only wrap the slash with code tags, to make it post, not the whole path. It posts every time for me.

And Karen has a ticket in to fix it on the server. Please be patient.

EDIT: We are looking into adding that info real time, but it may be difficult. In the interim, I have posted the information in the How-To forum.
EDIT2:The How-To will have to do. Implementing file attachment information when adding an attachment is is very difficult for technical reasons. Perhaps in a future version of phpBB it will be added by the developers.
Last edited by richb on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added EDIT2
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

wireman

#16 Post by wireman »

Problem is this looks really ugly when trying to quote contents of files within a code block. Anyone know how get code blocks to show leading '/' correctly without have to put something around it...?

e.g. this looks very bad:

[i]/[/i]etc/fstab

richb
Administrator

#17 Post by richb »

wireman wrote:Problem is this looks really ugly when trying to quote contents of files within a code block. Anyone know how get code blocks to show leading '/' correctly without have to put something around it...?

e.g. this looks very bad:

[i]/[/i]etc/fstab
Currently there is no way that I know of. That is what we are trying to fix with the server people.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

wireman

#18 Post by wireman »

Currently there is no way that I know of. That is what we are trying to fix with the server people.
OK. Here's hoping you get a solution.

lucky9

#19 Post by lucky9 »

/home/user/ should work also. And I think it looks better.

PS: I got another server error when originally posting this post.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

GoManutd

#20 Post by GoManutd »

i've found the source of the error. it's a security feature that needs to be tweaked. it is not forum software related.

Return to “Forum How-to's”