Stable, functional, lightning-fast, light-weight, works OOTB

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
quiddity

Stable, functional, lightning-fast, light-weight, works OOTB

#1 Post by quiddity »

Mx is exactly what I was looking for in an OS. It is stable, responsive, functional, versatile, lightning-fast, and light-weight.

I cannot comment on deeper technical aspects of Mx Linux, but I can say that as a novice Linux user, Mx is the best and easiest distro that I have used. I switched to Ubuntu in 2007, Lubuntu in 2017, and in the past week I've played around with using Bodhi and Manjaro.

Bodhi was light-weight (~200 mb RAM) and looked really nice, but I ran into functionality problems with LibreOffice, which is a basic essential for me. (Specifically, the save-as window extended beyond the limits of my screen and couldn't be moved, so I saved all files as Untitled and renamed them subsequently in the file manager. Probably an easy enough fix, but that is how it was OOTB).

Manjaro ran a little bit heavier (~700 mb RAM) and I don't have anything really to say for or against it because I didn't use it for long. Aesthetically it did remind me a bit of windows 3.1 (but that's not a serious complaint). Ultimately, the reason that I didn't go with Manjaro was because because Mx was so stellar.

MX is the best OS that I've ever used. As I said above, it is stable, responsive, functional, versatile, lightning-fast, and light-weight (<430 mb RAM on startup). From hitting power to searching Firefox it only takes 30 seconds to boot, with a password login. I have used Mx for two days and I've not had a moment of lag, slow-down, nor have I had any crashes. It looks great out-of-the-box and is easily customized through GUIs.

MX is the easiest distro I've used because it looks great and works smoothly OOTB. I'd say that it is more novice-friendly than Ubuntu because--unlike Ubuntu--I've not had to google solutions to hardware problems, and to then muck about downloading and installing packages to get it all up and running. (I do like to run terminal commands, but I use them like I follow a cookbook--I don't really know what I'm doing, so it's best to leave the sensitive stuff to the pros.) I'm also not a total newbie, so anybody who is should watch the video from the Dolphin Oracle and read a wiki before installing.

I like Mx to such an extent that I feel like evangelizing. I've warned my friends that I may ask to borrow their laptops "to google something" and stealthily wipe their hard-drive and fresh install Mx for them. :hug: (I would of course never do this, and this is a joke).
Quiddity
MX-18.2_x64 Continuum
Acer Aspire 5745G
i3 2.4 GHz, 6GB Ram
250GB Samsung evo 860

Stevo
Developer

Re: Stable, functional, lightning-fast, light-weight, works OOTB

#2 Post by Stevo »

Glad to see you like it! Make you wonder how MX gets those reviews on Distrowatch such as, "it's just a buggier Ubuntu." :confused: Though we have our suspicions.
Last edited by Stevo on Tue May 14, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitJam
Developer

#3 Post by BitJam »

quiddity wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:59 pmI like Mx to such an extent that I feel like evangelizing. I've warned my friends that I may ask to borrow their laptops "to google something" and stealthily wipe their hard-drive and fresh install Mx for them. :hug: (I would of course never do this, and this is a joke).
You could make live-usbs for them (with our live-usb-maker tool). A number of people don't bother to install and just run live. We use the antiX live system which has a ton of features.

With tools like snapshot, live-remaster, and live-usb-maker clone mode, it would be very easy for you to make your own customized version that you share with your friends. If they like it then they can install it. And it's always handy to have a live-usb around just in case. We've tried to make non-destructive evangelizing as quick and easy and fun as possible.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

quiddity

#4 Post by quiddity »

Great idea.
Quiddity
MX-18.2_x64 Continuum
Acer Aspire 5745G
i3 2.4 GHz, 6GB Ram
250GB Samsung evo 860

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

If their laptops have an SD card slots, you could slip an MX LiveSD card in there and set it to boot to from that without their knowledge if it's fairly inconspicuous--and you're evil.

Sparky

#6 Post by Sparky »

Without a doubt, MX has been the ultimate distro for me. The fact that it works and doesn't die after each upgrade is heaven sent!
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

quiddity

#7 Post by quiddity »

Stevo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm If their laptops have an SD card slots, you could slip an MX LiveSD card in there and set it to boot to from that without their knowledge if it's fairly inconspicuous--and you're evil.
I'll bring the evil, you bring the genius.
Quiddity
MX-18.2_x64 Continuum
Acer Aspire 5745G
i3 2.4 GHz, 6GB Ram
250GB Samsung evo 860

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

:welcome:
Be aware that many folks here share variants on the basic MX as respins. If you are interested in playing with those, you'll probably learn more about how MX really works, under-the-covers.

Have fun!
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

PPC

#9 Post by PPC »

quiddity wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:59 pm Mx is exactly what I was looking for in an OS. It is stable, responsive, functional, versatile, lightning-fast, and light-weight.

Bodhi was light-weight (~200 mb RAM) and looked really nice, but I ran into functionality problems with LibreOffice, which is a basic essential for me. (Specifically, the save-as window extended beyond the limits of my screen and couldn't be moved, so I saved all files as Untitled and renamed them subsequently in the file manager. Probably an easy enough fix, but that is how it was OOTB).
Hi! Welcome to Mx. I'ts lightning-fast, but folks don't like calling light-weight, it's middle-weight. Light weight is MX's cousin, antiX ( I use both, Mx on the more powerful machine).

Now just one tip with your Bodhi problem- I have a similar problem with Mx/antiX, on Firefox's save menu (but not LO), because I'm using a 1024*7xx vga screen (not very hight res for today's tech). In MX the way I deal with the problem is clicking the save window in the task bar and maximizing it. It's takes the intire screen but now shows all the options, including the field that allows to enter the name... It bugged me a bit before realizing how to solve that problem/bug.
My parent's 32bits HP laptop runs Bodhi- it's almost as light weight as antiX and almost as cool looking (maybe more, to some) than MX. It's a real good distro. I installed it on that very old machine even before finding out about antiX... So, for me, it also left a real found memory of also doing a very good use of a very low specs machine...
I ( until now secretly) hope antiX/MX and Bodhi team could work together and make a new version of the OS's... Say MX with Bodhi's particular UI would be a nice thing to try out... But I know that kind of stuff very rarely happens...

P.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

Maybe we can call MX welterweight, which is halfway between lightweight and middleweight...

Return to “Testimonials”