MX Linux is very good; it took some time, but now I'm settled in and happy

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
esbeeb

Re: MX Linux is very good; it took some time, but now I'm settled in and happy

#11 Post by esbeeb »

AK-47 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 am Although I'm technically a "newbie" (using MX since January/February 2019), my technical experience makes me a lot more tolerant to technical difficulties than a typical newbie, which is something experienced users often take for granted.
Thanks for saying that. I agree it's not fair to paint all "newbies" with such a broad brush stroke.

The Linux world would do well to do everything it can to target and attract experienced/power users away from Windows and OS X (such as the innovations made by Pop_OS! WRT gamers, that I mentioned above). It's those users who are generally good with technology who will probably appreciate Linux the fastest. It's those power users who have the patience and curiosity to overcome any barriers of entry into the Linux World (the worst of which is usually getting a Linux installer USB stick to boot on an UEFI-guarded PC, or an EFI-guarded Mac). Once they get past the hell-hound of (U)EFI, and through the Narnia closet of the Boot Menu, then they are pretty much home-free, these days.
Esbeeb
MX 21

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

Sometimes though, power Windows users have certain preconceptions, e.g. they are (IMO) too used to searching the web as their first resort and installing programs via .deb binaries from all manner of locations without checking if the deb package is safe or even compatible in terms of dependencies, instead of searching first in the repositories that are provided by the distro they are using.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#13 Post by JayM »

Asqwerth, the same is true of power Linux users. Those coming from Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu/Mint for example are so used to adding 3rd-party PPAs to get apps that they want that they try to do the same thing in MX before they've read the documentation and learned the MX way of doing things, and next thing they know they've created a FrankenMX that runs amok frightening the local villagers. I'd prefer dealing with a total newbie than someone styling himself a "power user" because the latter sometimes tend to be overconfident and think they know more than they really do, while newbies are more hesitant about possibly breaking things and are more open to reading or at least skimming the docs if you tell them where those are found.

Each distro is different and has its own ways of doing things. PCLinuxOS has its own curated repository, so does MX to an extent but one based on the Debian Stretch repo (plus makes the MX Test repo, Debian Backports and Flatpaks available, albeit at the user's own risk), the *buntus tell you to add any Tom, Dick and Harry's private, untested, unsupported PPAs (shudder), while ParrotOS is another walled garden distro but with barbed wire and machine gun posts on the walls. Linux power users can tend not to take these differences into consideration when they first start using another distro, and tend to approach it as they would the distro that they're used to instead of taking time to learn the new one.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Testimonials”