Switched to MX

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
rc racer

Switched to MX

#1 Post by rc racer »

Subject: Switched to MX

I am a Linux Mint user but after viewing several reviews online, and particularly a good review of MX on “Switched to Linux; I decided to give MX a try. I love it. I still think that Linux Mint is easier to use for the beginner, “however, MX Looks good, is stable, works great out of the box. MX is a little harder to learn to interface with but it is my opinion that this is because it has so many application and useful tools to navigate through. I think this is great and I hope that never changes.

Even though I have not used the MX forum all that much, I think it is probably the most friendly forum out there. I am amazed in the short time I have been able to use it at the willingness of those who take their time in explaining and answering questions. The help Manuel is about the best Ive come across so far.

I still love Linux Mint but have come to the conclusion that I like MX better and have installed it on my Desk Top along with Linux Mint, and completely installed it on both of my laptops. If you are a new to Linux or just want something a little more challenging than Linux Mint do not be afraid to try this distro.

To all those who have made this OS possible. Thanks!
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

Richard

Re: Switched to MX

#2 Post by Richard »

Welcome to the forum!

And thanks for the nice thoughts.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Artim

#3 Post by Artim »

Welcome!

I made the switch too a few months back. Coming from a couple of other Ubuntu-based distros, both of which were easy to use and powerful, great for newbies, except for the beta stuff which gets passed along in some of the updates! Stability and reliability are what keeps me here, and it's every bit as easy as the others, after a brief, gently sloping learning curve. This forum is especially good support!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

Welcome! I also switched to MX from Mint because Mint puts too much of a load on my older PC while MX runs quite comfortably on it. I won't say it's particularly fast but it's adequate, and faster than Mint with less strain on the hardware and resources. MX can't help it if my system is getting up there in years.

I agree with you about the MX learning curve and even mentioned it in one of my first posts. It's mainly a matter of learning where things are when you want to adjust a configuration setting. MX has all of Xfce's standard settings tools plus a bunch of its own MX Tools and Tweaks, so there are multiple tools to have to look at when you're still a new user. But I wouldn't change MX Tools for the world, now that I'm familiar with them. They make customizing the system so much easier. It just takes two or three weeks to get familiar with where most things are.

I also agree regarding the friendly and very helpful people in this forum. They're also usually pretty fast to respond, too. I'm constantly impressed with how quickly the people here get other people's problems sorted. It would be interesting to see the percentage of help topics marked solved here compared to four or five of the other more-popular distros, not by way of putting those distros down but just to try and gauge the quality of support for MX vs. the others. Another stat might be the average number of support requests per X (month, year, whatever) to indicate the number of people experiencing problems or having questions that they can't answer for themselves. (More people should RTFM, myself included.:blush:)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Antediluvian

#5 Post by Antediluvian »

I, too, came over from Mint (a little less than a year ago). Mint was my first Linux experience and I had a great learning experience there. The forum was very supportive and patient. I also ran Peppermint on an old MacBook and I liked that distro as well.

MX is my sole distro now. The tools like MX Snapshot, MX Live USB Maker, and MX RemasterCC are highly useful. MX USB Unmounter is cool. I could go down the line but I won't bore you. I really like the way MX strikes a perfect balance between an aging stable OS and a rolling (sometimes broken) one. It also helps that I already like and know my way around Xfce. I hope the MX developers don't get sidetracking into actively supporting multiple DEs.

rc racer

#6 Post by rc racer »

At first I thought maybe a cinnamon desktop might be nice for MX but Im adjusting to the Xfce platform rather well.
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

Return to “Testimonials”