HOWTO: Create a Bootable USB with two (or more) partitions.

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
MateoGonzar

HOWTO: Create a Bootable USB with two (or more) partitions.

#1 Post by MateoGonzar »

Note: I've to say that I'm not the original author. I only help with the translation of the document. If there are mistakes,I'm so sorry for that, I'm learning! :happy:
Note 2: The label name "DATA" it's only an example.
liveMXLinux.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MateoGonzar on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitJam
Developer

Re: HOWTO: Create a ootable USB with ywo (or more) partitions.

#2 Post by BitJam »

BTW: the most recent version of live-usb-maker (in antiX-19 alpha isos and in my git repo) allows you to make the first partition of the live-usb a data partition. I understand this makes transferring data to and from some Windows systems easier.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

m_pav
Developer

Re: HOWTO: Create a Bootable USB with two (or more) partitions.

#3 Post by m_pav »

Might have been a lot of work for no gain where MX Linux is concerned.

When booting MX Linux from a writable USB drive, a "Live-usb-storage" folder is provisioned for the user in the demo users home to accommodate saving files from the live system. Anything a user saves or copies in the "Live-sub-storage" folder will be written directly to the USB drive and therefore will not be lost when the live session ends.

When in windows, you only have to insert the MX Linux Live USB drive, and open Live-usb-storage > demo folder to access the contents. There are 2 folders available, one for demo and one for root.

If a user really wants to go the the extents of operating as root, then their content will be in the root folder, but 99.99999% of the time, that will not be necessary.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”