Writing, note-taking: "tools of the trade"

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
dreamer

Re: Writing, note-taking: "tools of the trade"

#11 Post by dreamer »

Stevo wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm Ghostwriter and Focuswriter are also in the MX repos, so will take up probably 1% of the space of the flatpak versions. We are just one point release behind of the latest Focuswriter, which requires a newer Qt5 than we have.

Maybe we need a thread which lists programs can't be built on MX at the moment, like

Focuswriter (needs Qt5 >= 5.9)
Krita 4.2.0 (needs Qt5 >= 5.12 with custom patches that probably no distro has yet, use AppImage)
Muscore 3.X (needs newer Qt5)

and so on.
I wonder why Windows and Android can have stable toolkits, but Linux can't. The only stable UI toolkit on Linux seems to be GTK2.
manyroads wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:49 pm In the "who cares department" I have a broken whiskermenu these days due to a missing dependency I think... there's no opacity. If I roll back a version use the deb file from stretch, opacity returns. Until whiskermenu updates about 30 secs later. Sorry I know this doesn't belong here. But since we mentioned Mr. Gott's fine products this just slipped out. (I love his work, btw.)
Why do you update it? Uninstall unattended-upgrades (or disable it in MX Updater) and upgrade manually through Synaptic.

manyroads

#12 Post by manyroads »

dreamer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:09 pm [...]
Why do you update it? Uninstall unattended-upgrades (or disable it in MX Updater) and upgrade manually through Synaptic.
Just not my style, I guess. Move on, move forward, I'm all about blazing burning fires.... :anispider2:

I'm a genealogist who refuses to live in the past. :number1: :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

dreamer

#13 Post by dreamer »

manyroads wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm
Just not my style, I guess. Move on, move forward, I'm all about blazing burning fires.... :anispider2:

I respect that. It's people like you that beta test and catch bugs so the rest of us can have a smoother ride. :number1:

I like that despite your passion for change you haven't fallen for the temptation of the systemd(evil). :anispider2:

Look what the systemdevil does in Ubuntu 19.04. It's just a bad configuration, but still.
And why on earth does the systemd default setting call out over the network EVERY 32 SECONDS to set the current time? Yeah, I fixed it-- but it should have had a sane default to begin with.

Artim

#14 Post by Artim »

I use Xournal for notes (and to annotate PDFs) and LibreOffice Writer for the bigger jobs.

asqwerth
Developer

#15 Post by asqwerth »

manyroads wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm
dreamer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:09 pm [...]

Did you try to install the gtk3 version of whisker?

For me, it's either geany or Libreoffice.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

#16 Post by Jerry3904 »

Mod: please start a separate thread for the Whisker problem/preferences!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dreamer

#17 Post by dreamer »

Xpad beats xfce4-notes-plugin as far as I am concerned.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”