HOWTO: Burn bootable USBs

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
asqwerth
Developer

Re: Burning bootable USBs

#11 Post by asqwerth »

Pierre wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:46 am an lot of folks would not be aware that the MX Live USB Maker can be downloaded from GitHub and then run on other Linux Systems.
- - which can, actually be quite an handy tool, as it does have some extra options available
I know, right?

It should be publicized more.

In the Notes section of this page: https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

dd is mentioned, as are other graphical USB creators, but not MX's very own L-U-M with Bitjam's github link and instructions.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

#12 Post by Jerry3904 »

In the Notes section of this page: https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

dd is mentioned, as are other graphical USB creators, but not MX's very own L-U-M with Bitjam's github link and instructions.
Good catch.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#13 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:01 am Just got woeusb in the package installer test repo. Formatted the usb stick to ntfs using gparted and will use woeusb to create the bootable stick.

Wait and see. Cannot test that either until the system itself has been assembled.

Used these instructions here: https://itsfoss.com/bootable-windows-usb-linux/
Just reporting that I managed to install W10 perfectly fine on my new system using this stick :number1:

The only problem that I had was that I had to figure out how to change the boot order and each time I tried the thing went into a BSOD screen because an old Win7 install was on the SSD I was using *snort*

But the install itself went just fine, so.. thanks for the woeusb tip!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

KBD

Re: HOWTO: Burn bootable USBs

#14 Post by KBD »

Rufus has become my go-to for creating bootable usb sticks for Windows or Linux. Never lets me down. Of course you need Windows installed somewhere to use it. Within Windows you can also make a bootable Windows 10 usb stick. For just Linux I often use the Live MX USB Creator, but I think you need to format the stick first if memory serves, with fat 32 using gparted.

jackdanielsesq

#15 Post by jackdanielsesq »

WoeUsb works as advertised - thank you - can now get rid of that pesky, leaky partition for good

Regards

Jack
JayM wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:08 am Yesterday I tried making a bootable Windows 10 Enterprise (90-day trial version) installation USB in dd mode using LUM, and also using mintstick, and neither would boot but WoeUSB was successful in making a bootable Windows USB. (I was intending to test running MX 18.3 in a Hyper-V virtual machine but alas my CPU isn't SLAT-compatible.)
:number1:

skidoo

#16 Post by skidoo »

kudos to JayM for assembling a howto topic addressing the various usage scenarios
JayM wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 am Creating an MX Linux Live USB with persistence in Windows:
Read section 2.2 of the MX User Manual and [bthis article[/b] in the MX Wiki, and also watch the two videos.
These will guide you through the entire process.

You will need two USB sticks or one DVD disk and one USB stick.

Using rufus, only one USB stick is required :yay:
skidoo wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm » Sat May 25, 2019

topic: please stop "recommending" Etcher and dd mode

For someone booted to Windows who has downloaded an iso and intends to create a liveboot USB drive,
the utility I "recommended" is rufus
~~ browse to select the iso file
~~ set a custom VolumeLabel (optional)
~~ then just click,click,click accept the defaults, including "isohybrid mode"
Expanding on the details of my post from a week ago:
after click,click,click...
~~ shutdown windows, then boot from the freshly-created bootable pendrive.
~~ during first boot (or you can choose to defer) request persistence setup

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#17 Post by JayM »

skidoo wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:48 pm kudos to JayM for assembling a howto topic addressing the various usage scenarios
JayM wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 am Creating an MX Linux Live USB with persistence in Windows:
Read section 2.2 of the MX User Manual and [bthis article[/b] in the MX Wiki, and also watch the two videos.
These will guide you through the entire process.

You will need two USB sticks or one DVD disk and one USB stick.

Using rufus, only one USB stick is required :yay:

Good catch. Edited my OP.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Yellowhoney

#18 Post by Yellowhoney »

what is the difference for GPT and NTFS.... should I just use GPT for both just encase the next computer I use doesn't have UEFI?
2007 20* Imac running 3gb MX18.3
i5 4670k 16gb ram

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#19 Post by JayM »

Yellowhoney wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:17 am what is the difference for GPT and NTFS.... should I just use GPT for both just encase the next computer I use doesn't have UEFI?
NTFS is a file system, GPT is a type of partition table. I haven't actually tested it myself but a non-UEFI computer (one with a legacy BIOS) probably won't be able to boot from a GPT USB. You should leave it at the default MSDOS-type partition table for all computers and only use GPT if you find that you can't boot your USB on your UEFI computer otherwise. This is covered in the MX wiki article for the MX Live USB Maker that's linked in my original post.
Last edited by JayM on Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#20 Post by Eadwine Rose »

The UEFI/legacy thing... it's a whole can of worms, but once everything is set up right those worms DO move out of the way hahaha.

As for creating the bootable USB: I use liveusbmaker, and used unetbootin in the past when that MX tool didn't work (they fixed that quite a while ago).
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”