Programs being gigantic. the answer.

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
shawnusa3

Programs being gigantic. the answer.

#1 Post by shawnusa3 »

IF the admins can get this information to the MX18 developers it'll help stop the headaches of VLC and Shotcut being so gigantic the few pixel normal edge is like 400 pixels tall. It was such an easy answer and I reinstalled both programs and they were fine. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1041629 ... s-unusable

SO anyone that doesn't want to use the link the simple way is to open your file system in thunar as root. and then follow these easy steps.
Edit /etc/environment with administrator rights.
Add the following line: QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
Reboot your PC.

Tell the developers they can just add that to the empty Environment file and the problems with giant programs freezing up the OS will be gone.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Programs being gigantic. the answer.

#2 Post by JayM »

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure that your solution actually solves a problem though, as I don't recall anyone posting to ask about changing the default sizes of VLC or Shotcut. Regarding telling the developers, you just did: they're here in the support forum too! :smile:
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JmaCWQ

#3 Post by JmaCWQ »

I posted about a similar issue with VLC a while ago - viewtopic.php?f=108&t=45751 :toast:

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

OK then, I sit corrected. :happy: I only have a 720p-capable monitor and haven't noticed any issues with VLC (I don't use Shotcut) and hadn't seen your post.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JmaCWQ

#5 Post by JmaCWQ »

No probs, I see it came up in the forum again & just thought I'd mention it :cool:
VLC is so far the only software I've seen this issue with and only the once with the upgrade to version 3 last year, never heard of Shotcut before now.
Weird how it only seems to affect some users...

joele

#6 Post by joele »

Thankyou so much for this solution, it is much easier than adding parameters to launch each affected app which I was doing (to set difference scales which still looked weird compared to your solution)...

I have this problem on an Asus Zenbook 1080p 14" screen with intel card, was horrible, also on my partners dell laptop with the same screen size/res and inbuilt intel video..

Affected Applications I noticed in MX 18.3
- VLC
- KeePassXC (from mx test repo but not the slightly older one from backports)
- Virtual Box 6.0.10 from mx test repo

All look perfect now with your suggested fix.. :happy:

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”