MX User Manager

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
deepestfishguy

MX User Manager

#1 Post by deepestfishguy »

2019-05-16

I would like to set up a Guest account that would not require a password. Is it possible to do this? Are there risks involved in doing this, even if the Guest account is set up without any privileges?

>)))*>

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: MX User Manager

#2 Post by JayM »

deepestfishguy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm 2019-05-16

I would like to set up a Guest account that would not require a password. Is it possible to do this?
No. Passwords are required for user authentication.
Are there risks involved in doing this, even if the Guest account is set up without any privileges?
Yes, extreme risks. Letting an unverified, unvalidated account run at any privilege level would be a very bad thing, security-wise. That's why passwords are a system requirement and always have been in Linux, and in Unix before that.

Welcome to the forum.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

deepestfishguy

#3 Post by deepestfishguy »

Thanks so much for your speedy reply !!

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

deepestfishguy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm 2019-05-16

I would like to set up a Guest account that would not require a password. Is it possible to do this? Are there risks involved in doing this, even if the Guest account is set up without any privileges?

>)))*>
Truly a bad idea... sorry. :welcome:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

deepestfishguy

#5 Post by deepestfishguy »

I value your input . . . thanks for a quick reply . . . no need for me to think about this anymore !!

deepestfishguy

RSOLVED: MX User Manager

#6 Post by deepestfishguy »

Not sure if it is protocol on this Form to indicate that an issue has been resolved . . . hopefully it is appropriate for me to do so. Cheers !!

>)))*>

richb
Administrator

Re: RSOLVED: MX User Manager

#7 Post by richb »

deepestfishguy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:33 pm Not sure if it is protocol on this Form to indicate that an issue has been resolved . . . hopefully it is appropriate for me to do so. Cheers !!

>)))*>
It is. Add [Solved] to the title of your first post. The pencil at the right top of the post block will put you in editing mode.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Vincent17

#8 Post by Vincent17 »

JayM wrote:Yes, extreme risks. Letting an unverified, unvalidated account run at any privilege level would be a very bad thing, security-wise.
For my education, could you elaborate?
Do you assume computer is accessible to strangers physically or via network?
Is autologin even worse?
Thanks for your patience.

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

Vincent17 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am
JayM wrote:Yes, extreme risks. Letting an unverified, unvalidated account run at any privilege level would be a very bad thing, security-wise.
Is autologin even worse?
If your PC is plugged into any network... and you have an open account, anyone with access to that network has free and open access to your machine.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#10 Post by j2mcgreg »

Vincent17 wrote:
Is autologin even worse?
You only have to look at the Windows platform to find your answer. Microsoft wanted Windows (especially the Home versions) to be as user friendly as possible. To that end they eschewed passwords early on in the consumer versions and also made passwords trivial to bypass on the business versions. They also gave their office suite kernel access. Then they rolled out a security protocol which was so strict that every home user had to be an Administrator. The effect of these four policies was to create an environment that enabled a plague of viruses and malware to occur.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”