[Solved]How to hide Home folder from other users ?

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
penguin

[Solved]How to hide Home folder from other users ?

#1 Post by penguin »

Since 2 days I searched/played a lot aiming to create a different user based on idea of this post

Code: Select all

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=48394

I created a new user using tuts in Internet, but I was not able to log in in lightdm. Seems that MX Linux does not read configurations of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. But anyway.....
I forget MX Tools. By MX Tools > MX User Manager , I created a new user naming it as Visitor and everything was fine. I gave a password for Visitor. The new user is visible in lightdm (startup) dialog. When I log on by Visitor account, I found that me personal Home Folder (Penguin Home Folder) is visible by Visitor. How can hide my home folder by Visitor ? What kind of other restriction can I apply to Visitor account using MX Tools > MX User Manager > Group Membership in aim to leave it as less as possible but a functional account ? I excluded Visitor from sudo,users but still is able to see Penguin Folder. Also Visitor account mounts automatically partitions of my HDD( but this I think that I can resolve by removing/disable partitions from fstab by Gnome Disk or Disk Manager).

Any idea ? Thanks in advance for your time.
Last edited by penguin on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skidoo

Re: How to hide Home folder from other users ?

#2 Post by skidoo »

me personal Home Folder (Penguin Home Folder) is visible by Visitor. How can hide my home folder by Visitor ?
You should websearch, read a generic tutorial on linux permissions.
Also man chmod

related websearch terms:
"guest account"
"kiosk mode"
Also Visitor account mounts automatically partitions of my HDD( but this I think that I can resolve by removing/disable partitions from fstab by Gnome Disk or Disk Manager).
surely "mounts" and or "automounts" is covered in the MX User Manual and/or the MX wiki
Last edited by skidoo on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philotux

#3 Post by philotux »

For the home folder of your first user, you can just right-click on it and choose properties. Under permissions tab, set the permissions for others to none.

penguin

#4 Post by penguin »

philotux wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:38 pm For the home folder of your first user, you can just right-click on it and choose properties. Under permissions tab, set the permissions for others to none.
Yep . Thanks. I just have done before reading your post. I googled a littled bit :). I tested and everything is ok. Visitor user can not access my home folder.

So. For all other folks : Thunar > /home/ and user folders are there. Right click on Your Folder > Properties > Permissions and change as follow:

Group Users
Access : None:
Others : None.

Done.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”