Blocklists (for Deluge & qBittorrent)

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
handy

Blocklists (for Deluge & qBittorrent)

#1 Post by handy »

Note: Please let me know if you find any problems with the following:

Firstly, are Block Lists worth the trouble?

This is a highly informative article written by a professional in the IT Security industry, one who knows what he is talking about. It is well worth reading all of what he has to say. Unfortunately the link to his page now 404's (I expect that the associated company has gone out of business).

This is a small part of the start of his article, just to get you going (I'm sorry now that I hadn't copied the entire article when it was still available):

IP Block Lists Myths Misconceptions

Written by Moore -> Viewed 44784 times ( 24-August-2015)

Table of contents

IP Block Lists Myths Misconceptions
Myths and Urban Legends
Blocklists give 100% protection
Companies regularly change IP's
Blocklists block billions of innocent people
Blocklists put you at greater risk
Block lists achieve absolutely nothing
Bust The Myths

Over the years we have heard all kinds of false and incorrect
information posted around the net regarding the use of
blocklists as an unreliable form of protection against a wide
range of internet based threats.

This has led to the development of common misconceptions about
the blocklists among many users.

Some of this false information may be part of a deliberate
campaign to discredit the blocklists and their maintainers, or
an attempt to trick people into lowering their defenses by
convincing people they are either more at risk or wasting their
time.

While in some cases the false information has been outright
fabricated lies intended to do damage, it also seems that a lack
of technical knowledge mixed with extremely poor research simply
results in bad and incorrect information being spread with no
attempt to seek out the actual facts.

Often you'll see different kinds of insults on discussion forums
from people who just want to ridicule other p2p users that are
discussing the use of a blocklist.

Taken from here: http://blocklistpro.com/guides/ip-block ... pages.html

Some Background

I stumbled upon the above block list information some years ago now, due to Transmission-gtk not functioning particularly well on my machine.

So I decided to install Deluge. It offered more options & shows more information than Transmission, therefore it isn't ''quite'' as simple to use, though really its not that hard to setup. But you do have to manually import a block list...

Finding a Block List

(The most time consuming problem was finding a block list for Deluge to import.)

If you want to use a Blocklist with Deluge, then open the Preferences panel, where you will find a Plugins option, a long way down the list on the left hand side; select it, then in the Plugins pane select (tick) the built in Blocklist plugin.

I found the block list that eMule uses looks to be good enough (for me anyway). It can be found here: http://hostex.de/1316700423

The added bonus is that you can use eMule blocklist in other torrent clients. I use it in qBittorrent, & it works fine.

Block List installation

The Quick Way

For Deluge

Here is the installation path for the unzipped contents after unzipping the file & calling it ipfilter.dat

~/.config/deluge/plugins/ipfilter.dat

For qBittorrent

Here is the installation path for the unzipped contents:

~/.config/qBittorrent/ipfilter.dat

The Slower Way for Deluge

Use this page: https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Plugins/Blocklist

Which means, whilst still in the Plugins pane of the Deluge Preferences, select the Install Plugin button & then navigate with the file requester to where you have the eMule ipfilter.dat & then type the path to it in the location field (it opens up once you start navigating in the file requester), using the following format:

file:///home/<username>/<path.to.file>/ipfilter.dat

After that it may be a good idea to restart Deluge to initialise the block list.

Results

After installation, I used Deluge with up to 10 simultaneous torrent files, & it functioned perfectly with magnetic links, & uses roughly between 6% & 10% of the CPU's power, shared over 2 CPU cores (in the day).

Which sure beats the upwards of 30% that Transmission was using consistently on my machine. Transmission had been functioning like that for many weeks & using a number of different kernels?

I fairly quickly moved on to qBittorrent which I have now been using very happily for years. qBittorrent uses less CPU, has a great internal search engine & is extremely reliable.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”