Fast news: @MX_Linux

The Forum is now on mxlinux.org and uses an encrypted (https) connection

Please read this Important information Linux kernel exploit

• antiX-16, release info here -- watch the video. Torrents here
  • MX-15 (antiX MX), release info here: here. Monthly update/upgrade available here.
  • Older MX Linux releases available on the download page

New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!

Attack on Firewall with scanner

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Attack on Firewall with scanner

#1 Postby Waver » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 am

Yes I am new here :snail: so please excuse my stupity when I ask this. The problem I am havingis after I set up Mepis 8.5 and installed Firestarter (yes firewall is activated) It hasn't stopped with the alerts from being attacked with a scanner. Maybe I am Paranoid or something.. The main address that is doing the scanning is 173,.194.70.101. No its not just 1 or 2 ports but all of them. Is this expected or have I set something up wrong? :frustrated: Who ever or what ever is hitting on myfirewall is hitting it so hard that I am not able to even go to another site.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Attack on Firewall with scanner

#2 Postby GuiGuy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:02 am seems to be Google UK.
I have no idea why they are hitting you, wonder if any Mepis gurus can offer some enlightenment?

Edit: It is actually
Google Inc., Mountain View, California.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Attack on Firewall with scanner

#3 Postby Utopia » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 am

Test which ports are visible with ShieldsUP and close them, https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
If they can't see you, they can't hit you. Usually only the printing port can be seen, something must have happened with your settings when you installed Firestarter. My M11 was in stealth mode by default when I tested after the installation.

Return to “Security”