mx-dockmaker beta available for testing

Help for MX Fluxbox
When asking for help, use Quick System Info from MX Tools. It will be properly formatted using the following steps.
1. Click on Quick System Info in MX Tools
2. Right click in your post and paste.
Jerry3904
Administrator

mx-dockmaker beta available for testing

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

This is the feedback thread for mx-dockmaker, which allows the user to easily create, edit, move or delete a dock. A full Help file guides the new user through it for the first time. Installation with Synaptic or command line:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mx-dockmaker
Please test and report back here.

Image shows edit mode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: mx-dockmaker beta available for testing

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Now the button works, no idea what was going on this morning.

Just noticed that the Help button doesn't seem to work. Most likely my fault...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Got this email from the Dev who created the underlying software wmalauncher:
Salut Jerry,

Downloaded and installed latest mx-dockmaker. That's look good, but, I found a bug. Whatever
the slit location you chose, the slit is placed on the bottom right.

I checked this and found that resource session.screen0.slit.placement is not set to one of the supported
keywords (ie. BottomLeft BottomCenter ...) but to the locale value of the selected position. For instance,
when I select 'Au centre à gauche', the resource is set to that value instead of 'LeftCenter'.

That issue comes from mainwindow.cpp, and more precisely from the method pickSlitLocation() which is called
at lines #323 and #443.

pickSlitLocation() should return the keyword corresponding to the selected position, not the button's label.

SeB

eriefisher

#4 Post by eriefisher »

I wonder if I can make a suggestion. You seem to be reinventing the wheel here. I have been using Plank as a dock for some time now. It appears to do everything your trying to achieve. You can place it anywhere, configure it as you like and comes with some docklets. Drag an app from the whisker menu and drop it on the plank. Apps such as media players will have controls when right click on the dock icon.

Just a thought and maybe worth a look. I don't know, maybe there is a reason you rejected it??

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

You understand this is for MX-Fluxbox, right?

eriefisher

#6 Post by eriefisher »

Yes I understand. Back when I was a fluxbox user I used another dock(forget which one ATM) and left the slit for other things. I remember the dock being popular with antiX at the time. I will have to find the name. My point is it looks like you placing a dock inside the slit. I'm just not sure why when there are other and maybe simpler options. My $.02.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

OK. The larger picture is that this accompanies mx-idesktool, which can place icons anywhere.

Adrian
Developer

#8 Post by Adrian »

Jerry3904 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:09 am Got this email from the Dev who created the underlying software wmalauncher:
Salut Jerry,

Downloaded and installed latest mx-dockmaker. That's look good, but, I found a bug. Whatever
the slit location you chose, the slit is placed on the bottom right.

I checked this and found that resource session.screen0.slit.placement is not set to one of the supported
keywords (ie. BottomLeft BottomCenter ...) but to the locale value of the selected position. For instance,
when I select 'Au centre à gauche', the resource is set to that value instead of 'LeftCenter'.

That issue comes from mainwindow.cpp, and more precisely from the method pickSlitLocation() which is called
at lines #323 and #443.

pickSlitLocation() should return the keyword corresponding to the selected position, not the button's label.

SeB
Thanks, I fixed that, it should be fine in the new .deb
The way I fixed it should give me freedom to rename the buttons, but since people already translated those TopCenter, BottomLeft, etc I don't want to change it right now.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

Nice of him to find the actual cause and lines!

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

Yeah, it's great to have testers, things like this slip through because I test with my default localization

Return to “MX Fluxbox Official Release”