New Mepis-Antix MX 14 B2 remixmy with KDE it/en

Forum italiano degli utenti MX
JimC

Re: New Mepis-Antix MX 14 B2 remixmy with KDE it/en

#11 Post by JimC »

I got a little further (figured how to end the current session and log back in again, which did change some things to English after I figured out to select it in the System Settings menus for language).

I also figured out how to start the installer (the System Back choice in the menus). But, I can't read the menu options in GParted to even setup partitions for it (as they're still in Italian, even though some of the KDE menu choices and labels changed to English). Ditto for everything in the Dock (still in Italian).

So, again, it's probably better that I wait for an English language release of it. :-)

It does look like a very nice spin that I'd like to try though.

BitJam
Developer

#12 Post by BitJam »

If this iso is not using the standard MX bootloader with the "F2 Language" menu, you should still be able to use the "lang=en_US" boot parameter if they let you type boot parameters in manually.

In general, if you use our standard bootloader for a respin then you can trivially customize it to the language of you choice (for respins) by putting a lang.def file in /boot/isolinux and also in /boot/syslinux (for setting the default language in LiveUSBs made with UNetbootin and the antix2usb program). This will switch the bootloader as well as the Live system to use the language you have set. The "F2 Language" menu is still available for users who don't want to use the language you set as the default with the lang.def file. Also, the standard MX installers should transfer almost all settings made in the live system to the installed system during an install.

If you can boot a standard MX iso (or one of the test iso images from here which only give you the bootloader) then you can use the F12 key to see how menu selections are converted to boot parameters that you can type in manually.

HTH

francofait

#13 Post by francofait »

The new iso direct installation in the English language will be online by next Monday.
In my personal blog I have inserted an illustrated guide covering, installation and activation process of updating and language localization system and kde.

For English-speaking users Mepiscommunity
http://francofait.wordpress.com/2014/03 ... -with-kde/

reconfiguration of the locale and language of both kde system that is perfectly identical with any Debian distribution (wheezy or jessie) and its derivatives

francofait

#14 Post by francofait »

Mepis-Antix/mx14b2-en.iso # x kde in upload in my space .

Mepis-Antix/mx14b2-en.iso with kde you upload, expected time to completion of the transfer, about 4 hours. The link for downlod and its md5sum here to upload completed

JimC

#15 Post by JimC »

Thanks.

I did manage to get the Italian .iso installed, but not everything was in English (for example, the KDE menus were in English, and some apps were in english, but Synaptic was still in Italian.

So, I'll download your English .iso and see how it works.

But, note that I did see some issues with the Italian .iso I installed.

Nepomuk has errors when you first boot into the desktop, telling you it needs a virtuoso plugin to work. I saw the same thing when I installed KDE in MX-14. To get rid of the errors, I installed some of the virtuoso packages (which increased memory usable substantially).

Another problem I see is that there is no network manager icon in the panel for changing your networks and settings. I also had that problem when installing the KDE desktop in MX-14. Installing the network-management-kde package (which also installs plasma-widget-networkmanager) fixed that for me. So, the same thing would probably work with your remix.

But, the main problem I had trying to fix the nepomuk errors with the KDE desktop I installed was the increased memory usage the virtuoso packages that I installed use (and virtuoso probably uses some CPU resources, too) in order to get nepomuk to work and eliminate the errors you see when first loading the KDE desktop. So, there's probably a better way to approach it (IOW, I may have installed more packages than it actually needs to function)

JimC

#16 Post by JimC »

OK... I figured out what I did wrong when I installed some of the virtuoso related packages to get Nepomuk to work (I installed more than was needed for it).

With your remix, all I needed to do was install the package named virtuoso-minimal

That allows Nepomuk search indexing features to work, with minimal memory requirements.

For example, if I load the GUI for the Desktop Search configuration (I found it by switching to the Kickoff style menu and searching for Nepomuk), it shows search indexing is now working fine after installing the package virtuoso-minimal and that also eliminates the Nepomuk errors you see when you start the KDE Desktop. When I look at the Advanced Tab, I see that it's defaulting to only 50MB of memory being used, too (so I see very little increased memory use that way with Nepomuk working.

francofait

#17 Post by francofait »

New systembak iso mepis-Antix MX14B2-en with KDE

http://www.istitutomajorana.it/francofa ... 4b2-en.iso

335b43b84bde31254a99ff2b6b0633f7 mx14b2-en.iso.md5sum

password x live = mx14b2
username x live = mx14

joany

#18 Post by joany »

JimC wrote: Nepomuk has errors when you first boot into the desktop, telling you it needs a virtuoso plugin to work. I saw the same thing when I installed KDE in MX-14. To get rid of the errors, I installed some of the virtuoso packages (which increased memory usable substantially).
I did not encounter the nepomuk error with my home-brew MX-14-B2/KDE installation on VirtualBox. I wonder if installing it on VirtualBox is the difference.

I vaguely recall a nepomuk error on an earlier version of MEPIS when KDE 4.X came out (SM 8.5 maybe?). This is what I think I remember: 1) You can simply ignore the error, and 2) you can get rid of the error entirely by disabling nepomuk in system settings. I don't think nepomuk is needed for the majority of users.

I'm attempting to download francofait's iso, but the download is intermittent. If I click on "pause" and "start" in the download window when it stops, the download restarts. But if I leave the download unattended, it eventually stops and aborts. Is there a possibility of hosting this iso on a more reliable server? Or is it "just me"?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

JimC

#19 Post by JimC »

Hey francofait

I'm seeing the following issues so far with the new English .iso (and the md5 sum matches up to what you posted).

1. gparted fails to run (at least not from a virtual machine in VirtualBox with 1GB of memory allocated to it using a newly created 8GB virtual drive, and I tried creating brand new drives in brand new virtual machines several times with the same symptoms).

I get prompted for the root password, but the gparted app never completely loads (momentary screen flash of it and then it vanishes). I tried reinstalling it from the live session with the same symptoms (doesn't load). I did not have this problem with your italian language remix (gparted worked with it).

So, I installed the partitionmanager package (the kde partition manager) from the live session and used it for partitioning in order to install your new english .iso (as the KDE Partition Manager works fine in the new .iso).

Again, this problem is not present in your Italian .iso (GParted works with it using the same settings for it in VirtualBox, but it doesn't run in the new English .iso you linked to). It also failed to run after a complete install of your English version running from a partitioned drive I installed it to.

2. keyboard layout set to italian by default

3. network manager icon not visible in panel so you can easily change networks and settings. See my previous post about fixing that by installing network-management-kde package (which also installs plasma-widget-networkmanager)

4. nepomuk errors still present at startup (it needs the virtuoso-minimal package installed in order for the nepomuk search indexing to work)

5. This isn't really a bug. But, the dock you had in the Italian version is not present in the English version. I do not know if it's removal was deliberate or not.

JimC

#20 Post by JimC »

joany wrote:
JimC wrote: Nepomuk has errors when you first boot into the desktop, telling you it needs a virtuoso plugin to work. I saw the same thing when I installed KDE in MX-14. To get rid of the errors, I installed some of the virtuoso packages (which increased memory usable substantially).
I did not encounter the nepomuk error with my home-brew MX-14-B2/KDE installation on VirtualBox. I wonder if installing it on VirtualBox is the difference.
You should see an error from nepomuk when you first load the KDE desktop unless you installed virtuoso for some other reason (or don't have nepomuk starting). I had the problem with a MX-14 install that I installed the KDE Desktop to; and I see the same issue in this new KDE remix.

If you want the metadata search indexing features that nepomuk provides (and eliminate that error), it appears to need virtuoso installed (and just installing the virtuoso-minimal package is all I needed to do to fix it). I think one of the other services also uses virtuoso for indexing.

Return to “Forum Italiano”