New Mepis-Antix MX 14 B2 remixmy with KDE it/en

Forum italiano degli utenti MX
Stevo
Developer

Re: New Mepis-Antix MX 14 B2 remixmy with KDE it/en

#21 Post by Stevo »

joany wrote:
JimC wrote: Nepomuk has errors when you first boot into the desktop, telling you it needs a virtuoso plugin to work. I saw the same thing when I installed KDE in MX-14. To get rid of the errors, I installed some of the virtuoso packages (which increased memory usable substantially).
I did not encounter the nepomuk error with my home-brew MX-14-B2/KDE installation on VirtualBox. I wonder if installing it on VirtualBox is the difference.

I vaguely recall a nepomuk error on an earlier version of MEPIS when KDE 4.X came out (SM 8.5 maybe?). This is what I think I remember: 1) You can simply ignore the error, and 2) you can get rid of the error entirely by disabling nepomuk in system settings. I don't think nepomuk is needed for the majority of users.

I'm attempting to download francofait's iso, but the download is intermittent. If I click on "pause" and "start" in the download window when it stops, the download restarts. But if I leave the download unattended, it eventually stops and aborts. Is there a possibility of hosting this iso on a more reliable server? Or is it "just me"?
You could try a download manager that allows for interrupted downloads; I use fatrat, though there are quite a few others in the repository.

kmathern
Developer

#22 Post by kmathern »

Stevo wrote:
joany wrote:
JimC wrote: Nepomuk has errors when you first boot into the desktop, telling you it needs a virtuoso plugin to work. I saw the same thing when I installed KDE in MX-14. To get rid of the errors, I installed some of the virtuoso packages (which increased memory usable substantially).
I did not encounter the nepomuk error with my home-brew MX-14-B2/KDE installation on VirtualBox. I wonder if installing it on VirtualBox is the difference.

I vaguely recall a nepomuk error on an earlier version of MEPIS when KDE 4.X came out (SM 8.5 maybe?). This is what I think I remember: 1) You can simply ignore the error, and 2) you can get rid of the error entirely by disabling nepomuk in system settings. I don't think nepomuk is needed for the majority of users.

I'm attempting to download francofait's iso, but the download is intermittent. If I click on "pause" and "start" in the download window when it stops, the download restarts. But if I leave the download unattended, it eventually stops and aborts. Is there a possibility of hosting this iso on a more reliable server? Or is it "just me"?
You could try a download manager that allows for interrupted downloads; I use fatrat, though there are quite a few others in the repository.
I just use wget with it's '-c' option
wget -c url

timkb4cq
Developer

#23 Post by timkb4cq »

My internet connectivity has been going out for 20 sec -> 2 min several times an hour this week (tech's coming out Monday).
Firefox & Opera downloads fail. wget (on the command line) downloads go just fine, resuming automatically when the connectivity comes back, even if I have to reboot the modem.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

joany

#24 Post by joany »

Stevo wrote: You could try a download manager that allows for interrupted downloads; I use fatrat, though there are quite a few others in the repository.
Thanks, Stevo! I installed fatrat, and it works a treat! Having to restart intermittent downloads has been bugging me for a while. Having to "babysit" a short video clip that pauses while downloading is a minor pain, but doing that for a 1.8GB iso that takes over an hour to download is a whole different matter. Fatrat is definitely the "cat's meow."

@ francofait

I see that your remixes are based on MX-14B2. Do you plan on creating similar remixes based on MX-14 Final when it comes out, and making those available?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

francofait

#25 Post by francofait »

Yes. The project Mepis Antix-MX14 is enjoying a good degree of interest through both my blogs in my groups on Facebook
Mx14 kde remix
mx14 mate remix

the 'iso on the server majorana is intact, integrity tests performed remotely, complete with remastering and re-installation.

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

Hmmm...I have Enlightenment 1.8.5 running on top of the libefl-1.9 Enlightenment Foundation Libs and libelementary 1.9 on M12. The theme that comes with it is nothing to write home about, but I added some from Bodhi Linux and they really make a difference. I'll have to finish porting over the rest of the E-apps....

joany

#27 Post by joany »

I downloaded francofait's remix iso (thanks to Stevo). I also get the Nepomuk error when the desktop is first loaded. I think the error arises when Nepomuk Search Module is enabled System Settings > Startup Services, so unchecking that service might eliminate the error. However, I don't get that error with my homebrew MX-14/KDE installation even with Nepomuk enabled. I'm not sure why francofait's remix has that error and mine doesn't, unless the missing packages that JimC mentioned were included by default when I installed kde_standard through the meta installer.

I couldn't find an installer for the OS in francofait's remix. If an installer is included, where is it? I'm guessing that francofait's remix is intended to run as a live session only. Unfortunately, a Live USB with persistence wouldn't work for me since my computer isn't capable of booting from the USB ports.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

francofait

#28 Post by francofait »

the installation program to support systemback live, is the same Systemback. (with whatever support install Ubuntu or Debian and derivatives) created by iso systemback
in my MX14 remix kde is allocate clearly visible in the side panel of kde, which started in the dockbar in live mode
http://francofait.wordpress.com/2014/03 ... -with-kde/
The guide, however, accompanied the screenshots shown relative to the various steps present in my blog, is in its own dedicated almost entirely to 'user Mepiscommunity

Without any claim to perfection on my part. The same basic MX14 b2 is the development version, so it's all possible to be improved and made more efficient before its final release stable version

The best alternative to XFCE Desktop Manager version based MX14 (but also in the same Debian Wheezy) remains 'Mate', moreover, already provided and available in the configuration software of its sources.

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

Yes, just click the systemback icon on the sidebar, and the installer will come up.

I also found that Clementine has its own language settings, I set it to British English and restarted it, then it came up in English. Must be some weird glitch.

Also this seems to have pulseaudio installed and configured. I had sound right away on the liveUSB, instead of having to tell the system to use the analog device instead of HDMI. :number1: VLC worked fine, though it is the older 2.0.6 wheezy version on this release, but Dragon Player just played sound and no video, for some reason, with no way to configure it.

Return to “Forum Italiano”