KiCad 5.1

ozfossil

KiCad 5.1

#1 Post by ozfossil »

Would it be possible and of interest to others in the EDA field to get a safe up to date version of KiCad (printed circuit design software) specifically version 5.1 http://kicad-pcb.org/blog/2019/03/KiCad-5.1.0-Release/

I will do a clean install of MX 18.2 and keep to safe and tested apps (in future) and not play Russian Roulette with the OS.

Cheers
Peter

Stevo
Developer

Re: KiCad 5.1

#2 Post by Stevo »

I managed to modify the build enough to do it correctly on a Stretch base, so the Sid 5.1.0 version should be in the test repo soon, along with matching -symbols, -project3d, -templates, -footprints, and -demos package updates.

You should be able to use MX package installer to install from our test repo once it makes it to the repo and the mirrors.

Kicad 5.1.1 is also now out, but Debian merges several different source packages to make theirs, so I'll wait for it in Sid.

Let us know how it works once it's installed, because I don't know how to really use it.

BitJam
Developer

#3 Post by BitJam »

Absolutely brilliant Stevo! You guys amaze me. :number1:
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

ozfossil

#4 Post by ozfossil »

Magic happens here !
Thank you and I hope to install it onto a new install of MX as soon as I see it and give it a run and report.
Cheers and the best of Easter for you !
Peter

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

I did try a straight backport a while ago, but ran into Debian's "everything upstream shall be python3 and gtk3" policy, which made it unbackportable-- it needed a python-swig backport, which broke all kinds of packages. But yesterday, I looked at how the PPA handled the Ubuntu 16.04 build of 5.1.1, and adapted their build-depends and build configuration, as well as adapting the Debian rules and install files back to python2.7. Kicad builds, installs, and runs on my system, but that's as far as I went.

I think it would be a straight backport to Buster, though---looks like that's shipping with 5.0.2.

ozfossil

#6 Post by ozfossil »

Hi Stevo,

I have tried to install KiCad 5.1 from the MX testing repo several times - initially I tried with my newish MX18 install - which has been upgraded via the normal update processes - initially I had 4.0x installed and it was working fairly normally - it was this install (a few weeks after my snapshot) that was trashed by my foolish venture into unknown repos (SID !)

I tried several times to update this 4.0x install and the update process began although while the text was racing up the window I saw several errors - i.e. repos not found, and running the KiCad program showed it was still 4.0x - so I assumed that some repos - the important ones were not read and the software was not updated or that an existing program was causing an issue - so I completely uninstalled the 4.0x install - then tried to install 5.1, and it did not install either.

I made a completely new Virtual Machine on my Virtual Box of a new and "shiny" clean virgin MX18.2 to try to install KiCad 5.1 (just in case my inherited repo lists or addresses in other MX instance had errors) but it too failed to install anything. When installing via the MX installer - the text races up the screen very quickly and I don't know how to capture the errors - so that I could report these to you.

If you suggest - I could enter a specific repo (the right way) into synaptic and see if my MX installer has (or any MX installer) has errors in repo addresses and or data.

Cheers
Peter

ozfossil

#7 Post by ozfossil »

Quick update - Hi Stevo, in my attempt to capture the error messages (expanding to the installer to full screen) allowed me to see that one (maybe the only) repo was a problem - so I reasoned that the automatic selection had chosen a broken or no longer existing repo address. I changed the default MX repos to Sydney - and re-ran the KiCad 5.1 install and it appeared to work fine. I have verified it installed version 5.1.

I have included the pic of the errors - in the hope that it can be removed from possible repos. For some reason all of my installations always chose the NZ repo - maybe it returns the best Ping result, but has no content.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skajo6k9awrjq ... l.png?dl=0

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

Yes, the NZ repos have been a pain in the neck for quite some time. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can suggest is what you did, use another repo. I hope that KiCad's working well now.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”