gparted 0.33.0-1

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

gparted 0.33.0-1

#1 Post by JayM »

MX comes with gparted 0.25.0-1 which works fine, but it doesn't support creating crypto_LUKS partitions as I'm pretty sure newer versions do. Instead, you have to install Zulucrypt and use it to make a new LUKS partition. That works fine too, but it would be nice if you could create encrypted partitions using the tools that MX comes with, huh? Plus IIRC you can resize LUKS partitions within the gparted GUI instead of having to do that at the command-line.

I searched all of the repos, backports and flatpacks and the only gparted available is our trusty old 0.25 friend in Debian Stable. I looked at the list of dependencies in 0.33's README and don't see anything particularly whackadoodle that would make it not work in MX, such as needing GTK3 for example.

https://gparted.org/index.php
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: gparted 0.33.0-1

#2 Post by JayM »

Never mind. I see that a newer version of gparted (0.32.0-2) comes with Debian Buster, so I'll just wait until MX is based on that stable version instead of Stretch. I don't really need to resize any LUKS volumes right now anyway, and if I do later there's always the cli.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Well, I could try and backport it, but like it warns you, it can be a tool of "mass destruction".

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

I actually did 0.33.0 without any trouble for MX 15-18. Debian doesn't patch or change anything about the source, and it's just a front-end to the command-line tools, so it should be pretty safe to use. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Here's the packages before they get to the test repo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KJvHm ... 6_MZfhrmfD

towwire

#5 Post by towwire »

Stevo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm I actually did 0.33.0 without any trouble for MX 15-18. Debian doesn't patch or change anything about the source, and it's just a front-end to the command-line tools, so it should be pretty safe to use. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Here's the packages before they get to the test repo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KJvHm ... 6_MZfhrmfD
I've been using this version on a usb stick and no problems.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”