MX 17/18 Repository: The Audacity Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17/18 Repository: The Audacity Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

We now have Audacity 2.3.1, the latest release, available in the test repository.

Audacity is a multi-track audio editor for Linux/Unix, MacOS and Windows. It is designed for easy recording, playing and editing of digital audio. Audacity features digital effects and spectrum analysis tools. Editing is very fast and provides unlimited undo/redo.

Supported file formats include Ogg Vorbis, MP2, MP3, WAV, AIFF, and AU.

Please let us know how it installs and performs if you give it a try. Thanks!

It doesn't include the HTML manual, but that can be downloaded from their web site with

Code: Select all

wget https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html?dwl=audacity-manual-2.3.1.zip
and then unzipped and the files put into /usr/share/audacity/help/manual

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX 17/18 Repository: The Audacity Thread

#2 Post by Stevo »

Audacity 2.3.2 has landed in the test repo. Changes/fixes include
  • New ‘Select’ button in the track panel to select the whole track.
  • Audacity mod-script-pipe for driving Audacity from Python now comes with Audacity and can be enabled via preferences.
  • Type to Create a Label is now off by default.
  • A plug-in installer for Nyquist now provides a file browser for selecting ‘.NY’ files to install.
  • And over 20 bugs were fixed in the release.

sunrat

#3 Post by sunrat »

This is good. I also use the current Sid version (2.2.2) in another distro and the preferences dialog has light text on a light background. Fixed in this new version.
Thanks, Stevo!

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

I built 2.3.2 for Sid, too, in case you want to test it on that other distro: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... t/audacity

sunrat

#5 Post by sunrat »

Excellent, will try it later today. :)

sunrat

#6 Post by sunrat »

Just installed it in siduction and it works well. The preferences are now nicely light text on dark background.
I'm using it to digitize a huge collection of live gigs I have mixed and recorded on cassette dating back over 35 years. It's amazing the cassettes still are listenable over that time and many sound quite good especially the ones recorded on good quality CrO2 tapes like TDK SA and SA-X. Storing them in a big steel box didn't hurt either.
Thanks again, Stevo!

m_pav
Developer

#7 Post by m_pav »

Using any one of my 3 machines, I do about 1 1/2 hours editing each week cleaning up voice recordings and each week they are very different and sometimes incredibly difficult to work with for any number of reasons. The Debian Stretch version was very buggy and I could easily get it to crash after 15 minutes of heavy editing, especially when I had to microscope into the thousandths of a second to remove an undesirable. I had to save every 5 minutes to avoid losing my work and it was the same on any of the 3 machines I worked on.

I decided to see what was in the MX testing repo and found this version, installed it and after 90 minutes of heavy editing without saving even once, no crash and not a single fault. What's more, it was some 30-40% faster to export the finished product and that is on my slowest machine!. I would say this definitely needs to be moved out of testing and into the regular repo if only it was not necessary to reset all the toolbars due to the new icon set. View > Toolbars > Reset Toolbars
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”