MX 17 Repository: The VLC Thread

Richard

Re: MX 17 Repository: The VLC Thread

#71 Post by Richard »

3.0.6 updated via MXPI. All ok. Plays as expected.

Had a message afterwards that it couldn't connect to Internet,
but that was probably a quirk of my ISP. I have seen the message before
when installing via MXPI.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Stevo
Developer

#72 Post by Stevo »

VLC 3.0.6 moved to main to stay ahead of Debian's less featureful 3.0.6. :cool:

kepler1

#73 Post by kepler1 »

Hello all! :)

I found a bug in VLC. Maybe you guys can also reproduce it?

Summary:
The video flickers whenever the XFCE volume pop-up is displayed.

Prerequisites:
- Set up some keys which you can use to change the (system) audio volume - I've used Volumeicon (from XFCE panel)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a video in VLC
2. Enter full-screen mode
3. Change the system volume - The XFCE volume pop-up should appear
4. Keep changing the volume up / down

Result: The video will flicker whenever the volume is changed.

NOTES:
* VLC Version: 3.0.6
* If the video output is changed to VDPAU from Preferences - Video - Video output - the issue will not occur anymore.

Stevo
Developer

#74 Post by Stevo »

It seems you have a workaround, so perhaps not a bug. But there are so many variables, such as if you're using a compositor, which one, and what its settings are, plus what video driver you're using, its version, your hardware, and the driver's settings, that the flicker may be restricted to just your particular situation.

Are you getting hardware-accelerated video in VLC with the vdpau output, such as being able to play 4K video with essentially no extra CPU use?

kepler1

#75 Post by kepler1 »

Stevo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:21 pm It seems you have a workaround, so perhaps not a bug. But there are so many variables, such as if you're using a compositor, which one, and what its settings are, plus what video driver you're using, its version, your hardware, and the driver's settings, that the flicker may be restricted to just your particular situation.

Are you getting hardware-accelerated video in VLC with the vdpau output, such as being able to play 4K video with essentially no extra CPU use?
Hi!
PC specs: old rag :) Core 2 duo e4600 @ 2.4ghz, 3GB RAM, SSD.
VLC Version: 3.0.6
Compositor: XFWM4 - The issue occurs even if I disable the compositor
Compositor settings: See the screenshot below.

Graphics: Device-1: AMD Caicos XT [Radeon HD 7470/8470 / R5 235/310 OEM] driver: radeon
v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: radeon resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.19.0-5-amd64 LLVM 7.0.0)
v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.6

I can provide additional info if needed. I also posted some time ago in Manjaro forums, several users had this problem.

Best regards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevo
Developer

#76 Post by Stevo »

Well, it might be a bug in the radeon driver in that particular version of the kernel, which introduces even more variables, since part of that driver is in the kernel and you can try many different versions of that, and part is in the xserver-xorg-video-radeon driver, and we have a newer version of that in the test repo. Or maybe your GPU could use the amdgpu driver, to which all the same applies, except part is in the xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu package. So now there's a zillion variables.

kepler1

#77 Post by kepler1 »

Stevo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:39 pm Well, it might be a bug in the radeon driver in that particular version of the kernel, which introduces even more variables, since part of that driver is in the kernel and you can try many different versions of that, and part is in the xserver-xorg-video-radeon driver, and we have a newer version of that in the test repo. Or maybe your GPU could use the amdgpu driver, to which all the same applies, except part is in the xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu package. So now there's a zillion variables.
Hey.

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure this is a kernel / radeon bug.

If I change the "Force window style" from System's Default to Fusion or Windows, the flickering is gone. Note that in this case, i don't even have to change the video output to VDPAU, i can just leave it to Default.

If the setting is set to gtk2 / System's Default (System's Default is the original setting), the flicker is present whenever the XFCE volume notification is displayed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevo
Developer

#78 Post by Stevo »

We now have the latest 3.0.7 release in the test repository, as 3.0.7-1mx17+1. This fixes about 20 buffer overruns and use-after-free security holes, so we'd like to get this tested and into main as soon as possible. Debian might do their own backport like they did for 3.0.6, but it lacks some features that our build has, such as working va-api acceleration on MX and AV1 codec playback, so our package is versioned to still be higher than Debian's.

Not listed in the release notes, but it resumes videos for me right at the spot where I stopped before, now without that silly skinny little popup question. You probably still have to set it to resume in the settings for a fresh install, though.

About va-api acceleration: the mx17+1 build in the test repo will have va-api acceleration with the Mesa and libva versions in MX 17 main. It will break that if you have the test repo versions of those libraries, but we have a mx17+2 build waiting in the wings to move into the test repo that will get it working again, as soon as we move the first version to main. I've tested the mx17+2 version to make it works with those upgrades.

Stevo
Developer

#79 Post by Stevo »

Has anyone had a chance to install and try the test repo upgrade? It really needs to get into main because of the security fixes.

Gordon Cooper

#80 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Have not tested all features, but VLC 3.0.7 plays my CD's without any apparent distortion or other problems
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”