AV MX Linux newbie problem with Samsung printer. (Solved)

Help on all MX Re-spins
fehlix
Developer

Re: AV MX Linux newbie problem with Samsung printer.

#11 Post by fehlix »

globetrotterdk wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:38 pm That is the driver that I have installed on AV MX Linux. I tried installing the same driver on the latest MX Linux version (KDE) 19.3 (live boot) and have exactly the same error message.
OK, hmm.. I dont' have a Samsung printer anymore, so not easy to track this one down.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

globetrotterdk

#12 Post by globetrotterdk »

fehlix wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:42 pm
globetrotterdk wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:38 pm That is the driver that I have installed on AV MX Linux. I tried installing the same driver on the latest MX Linux version (KDE) 19.3 (live boot) and have exactly the same error message.
OK, hmm.. I dont' have a Samsung printer anymore, so not easy to track this one down.
There is something here that may be useful. Unfortunately, I have little technical insight into the posted information:

https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5562

----

I found another post here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1157464 ... untu-19-04

----

I just tried uninstalling the driver and rolling back to version 1.00.36 (driver2) at https://bchemnet.com/suldr/suld.html, with no change. The error message continues to be the only thing that I can print. With my limited knowledge of the problem, it definitely seems like a CUPS issue...

fehlix
Developer

#13 Post by fehlix »

Some good explanations also here:
https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/forum/in ... opic=362.0
The last post indicates that if you connect the printer via network the problematic
issue might not appear.
Good luck.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

timkb4cq
Developer

#14 Post by timkb4cq »

One of those links indicated that changes in CUPS had broken the samsung drivers, but cups fixed them in ver 2.2.11 - MX-19/Buster have 2.2.10
So how to update cups? Use the MX Package Installer from the MX Test repo.
I have just packaged cups 2.2.13 (the final bugfix release of the 2.2.x series - new releases are now 2.3.x which bullseye will have) and uploaded it to the MX Test repository. Depending on your mirror choice you may have to wait a few hours before it shows up
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

AVLinux

#15 Post by AVLinux »

@timkb4cq

Wow, that's great! Thank you! I have to put up an updated ISO due to some quirks we found in the first one so I will roll in that version of CUPS...

globetrotterdk

#16 Post by globetrotterdk »

timkb4cq wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:01 pm One of those links indicated that changes in CUPS had broken the samsung drivers, but cups fixed them in ver 2.2.11 - MX-19/Buster have 2.2.10
So how to update cups? Use the MX Package Installer from the MX Test repo.
I have just packaged cups 2.2.13 (the final bugfix release of the 2.2.x series - new releases are now 2.3.x which bullseye will have) and uploaded it to the MX Test repository. Depending on your mirror choice you may have to wait a few hours before it shows up
Sigh.. I just upgraded as suggested, however I am still getting the same error message.

timkb4cq
Developer

#17 Post by timkb4cq »

I would try removing the printer entry from cups then recreating it since that entry was created in the old version.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

globetrotterdk

#18 Post by globetrotterdk »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:19 am I would try removing the printer entry from cups then recreating it since that entry was created in the old version.
I already did that before I tested again. Interestingly, the new printer entry appeared automagically, as the printer was on when I rebooted, to make sure that the new CUPS version was loaded. When I still got the error message, I deleted that printer entry and created a new. Still the same error.

globetrotterdk

#19 Post by globetrotterdk »

Very strange. As I couldn't boot into my AV MX Linux install after installing a liquorix kernel and then nvidia driver, I decided to install the latest MX Linux KDE edition and test again to see if I could solve my problems. Now, not only the nvidia driver install with the liquorix kernel just works, now my printing problem is solved as well (cups 2.2.13). Not sure what changed as I tried this on the live boot and it didn't work, but I am happy.

Return to “MX Respins”